Hike/Camp Pistol

Forum rules
Here, you can discuss Guns, Shooting, Hunting and other Outdoor Sports that involve Firearms. If you don't want to see Guns and related subjects being discussed, please respect the rights of the people here to do so in peace. We respect that right, that's why this forum was created. This Forum was not created for the purposes of you telling people that Guns shouldn't be discussed or that they should be banned. We respect your right to do so, but discussions about Gun Control and Gun Rights belong in the "I don't like guns and I want to say so." Forum and will be moved there when made in the Guns Forum.
Traillium
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Hike/Camp Pistol

Post by Traillium » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:23 pm

You may put me down as naive … Other than hunters actively seeking wild game, I don't know of anyone up here who carries a firearm when out recreationally. I have never carried one.
Up here, north of the 49th parallel in Canada, I've spent long periods (mostly out canoeing) in areas with black bear, cougar, wolf, coyote (our local coyote is a wolf-coyote hybrid, and male coyote weigh in over 60 lbs), white-tail deer, moose, caribou, and all the 'mini-bears' you can imagine.
I do now carry bear-spray in black bear country though I don't know anyone locally who has ever had to use it. From what I've read (Stephen Herrero, etc) firearms don't work nearly as well as bear spray. I've only rarely seen black bears and the ones I've seen (in non-hunting areas) have always moved off, often very quickly.
The animal I fear the most is moose in rutting season.
If I were up in polar bear country, yes, I would carry two firearms, one to shoot 'bangers', the other a heavy-gauge bear killer. Better still, I'd travel with a guide who was familiar with polar bears, and very very familiar with his firearms. (My wife has been in that situation when banding snow geese along the coast up from Churchill Manitoba, with polar bears almost constantly lurking about 50 metres away … She's not fazed any more by firecrackers!)
I don't mean to provoke any arguments. I'm just respectfully noting what I'd term as a cultural difference.

HammockMama
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by HammockMama » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:28 pm

I've never seen an armed hiker that I knew was carrying, but my hiking has been on the east coast or in National Parks. I've come across 3 live rattlers that I knew about, because they warned me. The first was the scariest, probably because it was my first. Like Indiana Jones, I HATE SNAKES!

As for size of a gun carried, I heard that a small one would do. One only needs to wound his/her hiking partner enough to outrun him or her... !-P

hikehunter
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by hikehunter » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:30 pm

Just the site of a gun to most 2 legged preditors puts them in to retreat.
Even if you only have a revolver with 5 to 6 rounds the preditors got to worry about which of them are going to recive a round and which are not....now that is gambling. lol.
There is other items that you can carry while hiking that you can use to defend yourself. There are rules about guns in State and National parks, that seriously limit toten a gun. Now, being in the way-out-back is a little different.

There is a gun out there that allows for high power and lower power while being light to carry.
The Charter Arms .44 cal. cowboy 5. There are different types of loads that you can get for everything from a snake without leggs and those snakes with 2 legs.

If you are real nice to your uncle he may special order you one made of Ti. for your 50th birthday.
There are wonders out there...now to go find them HFHS (Have Fun & Hike Safe)

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:23 pm

Idaho Hanger wrote:
sarge wrote:I only carry on private land as I'm not CCL'd. When I do its an SAA in .45LC.
Here in Idaho you only need a CWL to carry concealed "within the confines of a city". It is not required for anyone involved in lawful behavior outside of city limits.
In TX, you need a CCL to open carry, unless you're on private land.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:08 pm

I used to carry while hiking in my early days into it, but after having encounters with black bear I really don't worry much about them any more. Rather carry one in the city around all the weirdos. There was only one instance when I encountered a black bear that didn't run as soon as it saw me and that was from my car in a national park along a road way. Hell, they tell you if you get attacked to stand your ground and fight back by hand, with even a small gun I figure you're pretty darn safe.

I would get a small titanium 38 spl and carry shot loads or rat shot (whatever you all call it) for snakes. I know the shot shells probably will not shoot as well out of a 4" or snub nose revolver, but if you're that far away from the snake just go around it. Anything larger and I would be too inclined not to carry it.

Here are some shot patterns out of a 38spl with 2" barrel at 3ft. Still pretty tight.
http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/sho ... p?t=204499

Fastmatt
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Fastmatt » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:50 am

I carry a Springfield sub compact 40 cal. But honestly I think it's still to heavy. My buddies carry ruger lpc in 380. Nice light and small I'll have to get one for this season. I'm not concerned much about the wildlife in the ADK but have run into some "interesting 2 legg creatures" I feel good that if they have bad intentions I have a real convincing tool to change thier minds.

Traillium
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Traillium » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:09 am

Not living in poisonous snake country (other than the very rare Massassauga Rattler to my north), I'm curious why so many on this forum carry weapons to kill them.
Are they not what many of you might call an integral part of the Creation? (In my thoughts, aren't they an integral part of your local ecosystems?) Can you not behaviorally protect yourself from snakes?

Bruce Traillium

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:12 am

Its not snakes. Most people think that would be the reason, but its not really. Feral hogs, on the other hand, are a different story:

http://www.chron.com/sports/outdoors/ar ... 685490.php
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Traillium
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Traillium » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:45 pm

sarge wrote:Its not snakes. Most people think that would be the reason, but its not really. Feral hogs, on the other hand, are a different story:

http://www.chron.com/sports/outdoors/ar ... 685490.php
That's what I was hoping, Sarge — though if you scan through various posts, rattlesnakes come out in first place.

Hogs, yeah, I can understand that. I'd guess that a heavy slug of some sort would be required, not pieces of shot …

Some jerks released a few wild hogs in our area — I'll be hiking through those places. Wildlife people and farmers and landowners are desperately trying to eliminate them … I'm still not going to carry here in Ontario.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:32 pm

Yah. Most snakes you can handle with your trekking pole or walking around it.

A trekking pole won't help you much if a 300# hog comes barreling down the trail towards you.
My You Tube Channel

cmseeley
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by cmseeley » Fri May 13, 2016 2:31 pm

This has been on my mind lately!! I just got my CCL for NY and trying to decide what to get for my first one. I am actually leaning towards a Glock 17 or 19.
Chris (Chipper)

It seems like a good time to get lost in the woods for a few days! -- www.chipperoutdoors.com --

GoatHanger
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by GoatHanger » Fri May 13, 2016 4:33 pm

I don't own a handgun, but if I did and I were going to carry while backpacking, it would be for protection from people. People are evil and have agendas. Animals just want food. I've only had a handful of bear encounters, but the humans scare me more.
This is my signature.

GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by GregD » Fri May 13, 2016 4:58 pm

Please don't kill the snakes. Is it ever really necessary? It's not like they are going to chase you down and try to eat you. The "aggressiveness" of cottonmouths does not hold up to scrutiny. Even if a snake were to come at you, is trying to shoot it really your best strategy to avoid getting bit?

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Fri May 13, 2016 5:27 pm

GregD wrote:Please don't kill the snakes. Is it ever really necessary? It's not like they are going to chase you down and try to eat you. The "aggressiveness" of cottonmouths does not hold up to scrutiny. Even if a snake were to come at you, is trying to shoot it really your best strategy to avoid getting bit?
Its gonna work better than trying to hit it with your trekking pole.

A snake in my yard gets killed. Period. End of story, no questions asked. A snake bite hastened the death of the best trail dog that ever lived, and caused him a great deal of pain and misery in the process. I shall be forever grateful that it was not one of my grandchildren. I had stopped killing the snakes around my place because of the guilting that was being passed around about killing snakes over on the other forum. I had turned my yard and the acres around it into a bad place for snakes to be, then backed off that practice. Never again. They all die from now on.

Elsewhere, the threat will be evaluated and action taken accordingly, with the safety of myself and others with me being placed above the well being of the snake.

There's the way you would like things to be, and then there's certain realities that argue against pursuing the utopia:

http://www.khou.com/news/health/texas-t ... /154178827
My You Tube Channel

Polkster13
Reactions:
Hammock: DH Sparrow (#3008)
Tarp: OES MacCat Std
Suspension: Whoopie Slings
Insulation: WL 20* Full UQ

Post by Polkster13 » Fri May 13, 2016 8:20 pm

My cats regularly bring into the house live snakes, live lizards, even a live bird one time. I caught them all by hand and returned them back out into the great outdoors. No gun or trekking pole needed.

Return to “Guns”