Hike/Camp Pistol

Forum rules
Here, you can discuss Guns, Shooting, Hunting and other Outdoor Sports that involve Firearms. If you don't want to see Guns and related subjects being discussed, please respect the rights of the people here to do so in peace. We respect that right, that's why this forum was created. This Forum was not created for the purposes of you telling people that Guns shouldn't be discussed or that they should be banned. We respect your right to do so, but discussions about Gun Control and Gun Rights belong in the "I don't like guns and I want to say so." Forum and will be moved there when made in the Guns Forum.
Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Hike/Camp Pistol

Post by Scott » Sat May 14, 2016 1:11 am

last hike we came across 2 coral snakes. both on the trail, one about 3 feet from us, the other about 10. Both lived to scare/surprise other hikers. At home, I chase rat snakes off the deck, though I did dispatch one that was messing with the dogs. even non-venomous can be infecting. I generally live and let live, but where my kids and pets are concerned, there are enough snakes in the wild I don't need them on my porch. Any venomous snake found around my house is definitely not being 'relocated'.

Texas sucede? Y'all are lucky we don't invade!

kev137
Reactions:
Hammock: diy HyperD 1.6oz
Tarp: Warbonnet Mamajamba
Suspension: Whoopie slings tree
Insulation: DIY climashield/ Snu

Post by kev137 » Sat May 14, 2016 5:29 am

I've run into many a snake in the wild from copperheads to rat snakes and never had a problem with any of them. I'm in their backyard so it would be rude to kill them just for being a snake. Walk around, or nudge em with a stick or hiking pole, snake problem solved.

Human varmints on the other hand might require a little more persuasion. I would think that the sight of just about any pistol would be enough to discourage any nefarious activity. I personally carry a good sized fairly sharp knife on my hip when camping and hiking. Unless I'm bringing a knife to a gun fight, i feel sage enough with that.

As for black bear ( and wild pigs) I'm not sure that a caliber large enough to stop them would be comfortable to carry. When I used to deliver pizza's and had my concealed permit i carried a compact stainless steel s&w .45 all day every day. I love that gun, but can not imagine carrying it and a full pack all day. And for a bear i wouldn't carry anything with less punch than that. I mean a .380 or 9mm would just piss ol' Smokey off. Also here in Florida unless you are on private property we don't have open carry laws. So by the time i drop a hiking pole, and move my pack or hip belt out of the way and draw, I'm gonna be a bear snack. So untill black bears start jacking up campers like the gators jack up small dogs, I'll rely on being not so quiet and using a bear bag and food safety to stay safe.
" No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride", Hunter S. Thompson

GoatHanger
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by GoatHanger » Sun May 15, 2016 2:53 pm

Just ran into one about 30 minutes ago. I tried to kiss it before I relocated it, but apparently it was not interested.
This is my signature.

kev137
Reactions:
Hammock: diy HyperD 1.6oz
Tarp: Warbonnet Mamajamba
Suspension: Whoopie slings tree
Insulation: DIY climashield/ Snu

Post by kev137 » Sun May 15, 2016 8:21 pm

GoatHanger wrote:Just ran into one about 30 minutes ago. I tried to kiss it before I relocated it, but apparently it was not interested.
Well at least he smiled for the picture. Pretty good sized snake. I guess you won't have to much worries about mice and rats near your camp!
" No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride", Hunter S. Thompson

GoatHanger
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: RE: Re: Hike/Camp Pistol

Post by GoatHanger » Sun May 15, 2016 8:42 pm

kev137 wrote:Well at least he smiled for the picture. Pretty good sized snake. I guess you won't have to much worries about mice and rats near your camp!
Yeah, I guess 6 or 7 feet. I was actually hanging in my backyard, and I heard my neighbor scream. I yelled to her to ask if she was okay, and she asked me to get the snake off of her porch, because it was right in front of her door and she was afraid to step over it to go in her house.

I wanted to get it before her husband got to it, because he's afraid of them too, so he always kills them with a shovel. It's just an Eastern Ratsnake, not dangerous at all. The juveniles are often killed because they are mistaken as poisonous because of their markings. They look like a Pinesnake, but people afraid of snakes usually wrongly mistake them as Copperheads.
http://dnr2.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages ... 20Ratsnake

The only two poisonous snakes in Maryland are the Copperhead and Timber Rattler. So knowing that (and how to identify them), I will pick up just about any snake around here.

Ratsnake poo/pee really stinks by the way, lol!

Anyway, after I posed for the picture with my little buddy, I took it to a different section of woods and let it go. I only took the picture because I thought of this thread while I was holding it :)

I went back to my hammock nap after I washed the snake stink off of me.
This is my signature.

Flatliner
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Flatliner » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:11 pm

I am currently in flux on this. My favorite handgun at the moment is an FNX 45 Tactical with an AAC Tirant. However it is heavy. If I am doing a lot of foot pounding, I prefer something light (like a Glock 19). It depends on the threat I anticipate. Frankly, the places I camp/hike/canoe/kayak I worry far more about 2 legged snakes than any game animal threats. I have a lifetime of experience avoiding confrontations with nasty things that want to eat me.
Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it.
Proverbs 22:6

Just a middle age guy who likes doing outdoor things with his great kids...

life_scout
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by life_scout » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:50 pm

I sometimes take the Taurus poly judge on my hikes. A 410 snake shot for that concern, and 45 long for all other problems. The poly gun holds up the the elements great, it's light weight and fun to shoot. Not a bad price and ammo is available at wally world. Cotton mouth here in the south east has been my only concern. They would be less of a problem if they tasted better. Lol

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:12 pm

You using buck or birdshot?
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Return to “Guns”