Texas / AZ LTC

Forum rules
Here, you can discuss Guns, Shooting, Hunting and other Outdoor Sports that involve Firearms. If you don't want to see Guns and related subjects being discussed, please respect the rights of the people here to do so in peace. We respect that right, that's why this forum was created. This Forum was not created for the purposes of you telling people that Guns shouldn't be discussed or that they should be banned. We respect your right to do so, but discussions about Gun Control and Gun Rights belong in the "I don't like guns and I want to say so." Forum and will be moved there when made in the Guns Forum.
Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Texas / AZ LTC

Post by Scott » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:54 pm

I took the Texas LTC (formerly CHL) class last week. Got 100 on the written test (meaning I did not fall asleep during class) and shot 238 out of the 250 possible. 10 pts lost for two FTF because my mag detent was weak. They were considered misses by the instructor. I then switched pistols to a borrowed Glock 19 and all was good. I also lost 2 pts for missing WAY low right but still on the blue. I swear the person shooting next to me shot my target. The rest of my shots were centered pretty well.

I sent off yesterday for my permit, from Arizona. The permit is $80 cheaper than the Texas permit, and ink fingerprints were free at my local sheriff office so probably I saved a little over $100. As a non-resident carrying an AZ license, I lose carrying in FL, MI, CO, SC, and maybe Penn? But I gain Nevada (Nevada does not like the Texas permit) and I drive through Nevada a couple times a year, so trading FL for Nevada is good for me.

Hopefully they don't find any reason to deny my application. 4-6 week wait now.

Texas sucede? Y'all are lucky we don't invade!

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Re: Texas / AZ LTC

Post by Scuba » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:06 pm

grats. I have been carrying for almost 30yrs now, starting with the military then Utah then Texas after I retired. I liken my handgun to an AmEx card, I never leave home without it.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Texas / AZ LTC

Post by Scott » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:03 pm

Coming from CA, it almost warranted a visit from state police if you even asked about a permit. But things change in some areas. My bro-in-law got a CA permit recently because the area he is in had LEO budgets cut. The sheriff said if you put "inadequate law enforcement resources to protect me" as the reason for needing a permit, he would sign it. Worked for him. After moving to TX 10yrs ago, I was going to get mine, but 80% of where I go I could not carry for one reason or another, so I never bothered to spend the money. I am getting it now cause I can, and I am not confident these rights are being protected well, so I am adding my voice and dollars, to the community that is visible. How many license holders is a measurable thing.

My kids have all grown up shooting, at least a couple of times year. Daughter was on a group date last summer at college. Some guys took some girls shooting. She is not cocky about it, but impressed the other girls when she pulled out a gun and showed them how to shoot - this was in Utah. They should have known a good Texas girl would be up to speed.

A friend of mine and I just got back from the range. Lone Star Gun Range near Lockhart. Outdoor range that fits my style. I have friends with ranches, but I don't like to impose more than I should. This range is $15 for the day, or $100 for the year. Kids under 18 free. Shooter controlled lines. Call cease fires, set targets, resume when all are safe. 100 yd rifle range. 7 yd pistol only. 15 and 25 pistol/rifle, .22 only area with metal targets, shotgun area, archery area, rapid fire area. Wish I found it sooner.
Texas sucede? Y'all are lucky we don't invade!

Return to “Guns”