The other forum is tearing itself apart about guns..

Forum rules
Here, you can discuss Guns, Shooting, Hunting and other Outdoor Sports that involve Firearms. If you don't want to see Guns and related subjects being discussed, please respect the rights of the people here to do so in peace. We respect that right, that's why this forum was created. This Forum was not created for the purposes of you telling people that Guns shouldn't be discussed or that they should be banned. We respect your right to do so, but discussions about Gun Control and Gun Rights belong in the "I don't like guns and I want to say so." Forum and will be moved there when made in the Guns Forum.
Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

The other forum is tearing itself apart about guns..

Post by Scuba » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:45 pm

Apparently the other forum's owner posted about possibly allowing people to talk about evil, nasty guns in relation to hammock camping... hilarity ensued.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/sho ... DM-section

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: The other forum is tearing itself apart about guns..

Post by sarge » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:20 pm

Cain't see it.

But I can imagine.

I wonder who he thinks he's in competition with?
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Post by UncleMJM » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:32 pm

Pretty humorous reading.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:54 pm

Somebody please cut and paste in an email to me---
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Scuba » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:58 pm

now we know how to torment Sarge.....
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.

WickedKlown2
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by WickedKlown2 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:29 am

I have insufficient privileges to access that page, guess it's in the paying member section :(
Dave aka WK2
Asst-Cubmaster of Pack 640 - Smyna, TN
Eagle Scout 1992 - Troop 86 Brentwood, TN
Tread Lightly and Leave No Trace :)

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Post by gmcpcs » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:55 am

Scuba wrote:now we know how to torment Sarge.....
Oh yeah. That makes me laugh... :)

My paid fee has expired.
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:03 am

I got an email last month letting me know mine had expired as well.
My You Tube Channel

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Post by BillyBob66 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:42 am

I can't read it ether, but it would be sort of interesting. But the one I really wanted to read was the blow up that took place while I was away for a few weeks, the one about signatures. When I returned I was informed that all of this had happened and it was quite a dust up and as a result my signature unchanged from about 2006 was now offensive and had to go. My desire was to at least be able to read the closed thread. One reason would be just so I could know exactly who it was that had so little tolerance for my signature. Not knowing that greatly lessened my desire to post there, since I would not know if I was communicating with people who so strongly objected to my signature.
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

rhjanes
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by rhjanes » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:45 am

I meant to inform you all.....snicker.....and in that (I last read it around 24 hours ago.....it was already like 9 pages and quickly growing) was also conversations about religion and such.....
Call me Junior
Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes sargevining

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Scuba » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:05 am

Ultimately here is my view....

I like hammock camping.
I ALWAYS carry a gun.
Discussing/giving advice to people on how I carry while hiking/camping isn't evil.
Guns (despite what the Nanny's want you to think) aren't evil.
Let mature adults discuss them.

The problem is the immature, knee-jerk pansies who hear gun and are instantly offended. They need to realize their is no Constitutional right to not be offended. Suck it up, Buttercup.

GoatHanger
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by GoatHanger » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:10 am

"If" I were to post there on this subject, it would be this...

The issue is not guns, it's not politics, and it's not religion. It's human pride, no matter the subject. It has been since the beginning of man.

Some try to convince why they are right. Some try to humiliate. Some try to display their depth of knowledge. Some are sincere, and open minded. Unfortunately, just as in all of life, the latter is the minority.

If/when this place gets a large population, the problem will follow here also.

'Tis nature.

I don't care one way or another. There are opinions, and there are facts. Sometimes they're one in the same, but it becomes a problem when people can't distinguish between the two.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
This is my signature.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:14 am

BillyBob66 wrote:I can't read it ether, but it would be sort of interesting. But the one I really wanted to read was the blow up that took place while I was away for a few weeks, the one about signatures. When I returned I was informed that all of this had happened and it was quite a dust up and as a result my signature unchanged from about 2006 was now offensive and had to go. My desire was to at least be able to read the closed thread. One reason would be just so I could know exactly who it was that had so little tolerance for my signature. Not knowing that greatly lessened my desire to post there, since I would not know if I was communicating with people who so strongly objected to my signature.
I had two separate conversations with a couple of folks at the last Texas hang. Both were "original members" who had seen a lot (too much to tell here), both had signatures with quotes from the "offensive Book" in them, and both had not signed on for at least two years. Both of them reported that thier signatures had been removed.

What this means is that somebody over there is going through the inactive member list, looking at signatures, and removing the ones they don't like. That's thousands of people. It has to have taken a long time

That's not just "preventing friction". That's fanaticism.
My You Tube Channel

rhjanes
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by rhjanes » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:45 am

flat amazing sarge.....
Someone also posted about "another site recently started and allows it" then referenced our 400+ members and commented that it has NOT swirled down the sewer...
Course I'm thinking several other hiking forums BADLY need to run a built-in script along the lines of "if not logged on in 365 days AND never posted"....TOS would see about 50 percent of their "members" disappear as they have never posted.
Call me Junior
Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes sargevining

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:06 am

I think we have demonstrated here that setting up a Forum in such a manner that each side of a divisive issue has a place to post, and announced an intention that the site will not take sides in such disputes, and that we handle the situation by coming at it from the direction that there are no "bad subjects" just bad actors who wish to disrupt otherwise peaceful discussions between like minded people is the way to go.

Those wish or are pre-disposed to cause trouble in discussions about religion, politicsm and guns on this site don;t post here because they know two things:

1. We will allow them to voice their opinion.
2. If voicing that opinion is disruptive, it will be moved to a thread where it is not.

IOW

If you want to say "Gun owners are stupid, irresponsible, and making up for sexual inadequacies with a phallic symbol." You can. If you say that in the "Guns" forum it will be moved to the "I I Don't Like Guns, I Don't Think Anyone Should Talk About Them, And I Want To Say So" forum where you can discuss that aspect of your opinion all day long with like minded folk.

And the vice is also versa.
My You Tube Channel

Return to “Guns”