The other forum is tearing itself apart about guns..

Forum rules
Here, you can discuss Guns, Shooting, Hunting and other Outdoor Sports that involve Firearms. If you don't want to see Guns and related subjects being discussed, please respect the rights of the people here to do so in peace. We respect that right, that's why this forum was created. This Forum was not created for the purposes of you telling people that Guns shouldn't be discussed or that they should be banned. We respect your right to do so, but discussions about Gun Control and Gun Rights belong in the "I don't like guns and I want to say so." Forum and will be moved there when made in the Guns Forum.
G_Man
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: The other forum is tearing itself apart about guns..

Post by G_Man » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:33 pm

Wow! Somehow I've missed this thread "over there", not that I'm missing anything really. So typical of the way it's heading, and a huge reason why I truly hope this forum takes off. I think it's great that here we can discuss EVERYTHING I take into the woods with me not just what I sleep in.

That a vendor the likes of Papa Smurf was met with resistance on the issue speaks volumes. That site appears to be headed the way of a bushcrafting site I was once a member of, their way or the highway.

Keep your booger hook off the boom switch until you're ready to fire!!

TXyakr
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by TXyakr » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:32 am

Well I was recently convicted that I need to be more tolerant of other people who believe, act and are just very different than me. Long boring story that few would read (challenges I had getting to and after March 4, hang at SH Nat'l Forest: Catalytic converter failed, pothole blew out tire etc. after I was critical of some folks that I should have just ignored, probably a just a coincidence...) IMO I don't need to agree with someone or believe there is any merit to their beliefs or way of life to respect them as a person and treat them with dignity. This is a free country, I "believe" that in the long run discussion groups like this will more likely prosper if everyone is just more considerate of each other and try very hard not to be easily offended by the way we all express our views and beliefs.

A few years ago I spent a weekend paddling down a river in the same canoe with a man who claimed to be an active member of the Wiccan religion. That was interesting. He appeared to me to be suffering from a fairly sever case of untreated depression or something closely related (I'm not a Psychologist so can't diagnose) but he was convinced someone had cast a spell or curse or something like that on him. Everyone else on the paddling trip got irritated at his negative and hostile behavior, and it really tried my patience. Several told me I was a "Saint" for putting up with him. Well not exactly, I did lose my cool a few times... :-) I'm only human, not 100% filled with the Holy Spirit all the time, often my selfish self takes over and I get in trouble.

Some verses that came to mind: James 4:1 and 2 Timothy 2:23 In my opinion it is fine to disagree and discuss differences of opinion but best to try not to be nasty or ugly and make personal attacks when doing so.

http://biblehub.com/james/4-1.htm

I can think of one particular person on that other Hammock Forum that seems to do this on a regular basis and the moderators never seem to moderate his "freedom of speech" I often wondered if it was because "he" was actually just a pseudonym (alternate trail-name) for the owner of the forum who was blowing off steam or a very close friend or relative of his... Some of you probably know who I am talking about, does he really surf on the the shores of New Jersey, ha ha ha...

He often said very nasty things about ENO hammocks. Well I agree that for the price technically a person could probably get a better hammock for less money, however this brand has done an excellent job of introducing thousands of people to the joy of hanging in hammocks and many people really like their ENO hammocks and other related gear so it is just rude and unnecessary to be so critical. I wondered it it was out of greed because ENO did not advertise on his site that he allowed or posted this himself under a second "trailname".

Similar issue with discussions about firearms (guns as some call them, heck he even banded discussion on low powered children's airguns), he was concerned that it would drive away liberals and reduce his bottom line because that site had become a bit of a profit center for him despite its non-profit listing... IRS has bigger fish to fry, evidently.

tangara
Reactions:
Hammock: cotton or diy nylon
Tarp: cheap silnylon
Suspension: homemade 1-2"
Insulation: diy uq

Post by tangara » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:54 am

Scott wrote:I also think there is a degree of validation is everyone else likes what we have, or if we get what everyone else has. Safety in numbers?

I am somewhat new to all this, but I have spent a lot of time researching and reading, and making some. My gear is cobbled together, but works for me. The most comfortable hammock thus far for me is a tablecloth that ended up being 11' x 65". Cheap, simple, "heavy" compared to some, but it worked for me. My daughter now has it at college and I am using a lighter weight DIY, which is also comfy, just different. And from a supporting vendor.

We want support vendors so we have options, but that support can cross over into obligation and what-not.

Just submit a simple post asking if a pad can work in place of an UQ...
That was my biggest issue over there. If you are not spending $1000 on a new setup every year, your stuff sucks. I haven't spend $1000 total on my gear in 30 years. (Now the parts and pieces, yeah, that might add up). I make my own, cobble it together from thrift stores, whatever. I like to tinker. I was raised that way - reuse what you can and learn along the way. I went to a group hang and was pretty much dismissed, even though I've probably got more years in a hammock and in the wilderness as anyone there. They just sort of pitied me, but I'm happy as a clam with my setup. I feel sorry for them - they're always trying to buy the next best thing. I've never had a "bought" down underquilt, but the homemade one I made from a thrift store duvet could compete in everything but looks. It's the weirdest print... But it cost me - $8, and it came with a camping cot that I was able to trade for something else. Beat that.

tangara
Reactions:
Hammock: cotton or diy nylon
Tarp: cheap silnylon
Suspension: homemade 1-2"
Insulation: diy uq

Post by tangara » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:57 am

sarge wrote:
He and more than a couple others get away with that and more because:
1. They agree with him.
2. They have the same enemies and its useful to have him around so he can say bad things about their common enemies so they don't have to.
Exactly. The definition of bully. There's really no need for it in an internet forum. It's the internet, get over it!

kev137
Reactions:
Hammock: diy HyperD 1.6oz
Tarp: Warbonnet Mamajamba
Suspension: Whoopie slings tree
Insulation: DIY climashield/ Snu

Post by kev137 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:02 am

It is entertaining to me how "educated " people who are so liberal feel so offended by opinions that are contrary to their own. There are many things i find offensive, don't agree with, or am morally opposed to, however it is not my right to tell everyone else that they have to agree with me. Don't like what someone has to say? Don't listen. Unless they are inciting violence or hatred they have the right to say it. Don't like that someone has a Bible verse for a signature? Then don't read it. Skip over it. Real simple. You want me to treat your opinions with respect? Then show me the same respect.

I am new to this site but the one thing I've noticed is the seaming lack of disrespect. I've yet to read a post where someone slams another person and gets downright rude. I've seen people offer contrary opinions, but not in a snide or nasty way. I enjoy the wealth of knowledge available at " that other forum", but often find myself frustrated by the attitude some people show. I like the fact that the folks here don't appear to be gear snobs. Y'all seam to be more about the hammock and outdoor experience than about the look at what i have that you wish you could afford thing. Maybe this is how they were when they first started out and it just changed. I don't know i wasn't there.
" No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride", Hunter S. Thompson

PapaSmurf
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by PapaSmurf » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:13 pm

kev137 wrote:Maybe this is how they were when they first started out and it just changed. I don't know i wasn't there.
Yes, it was a completely different place in the beginning. I've seen some change in the past 6 or 7 years, but the last coupe years have been a rapid spiral downward.

Idaho Hanger
Reactions:
Hammock: P43 Terrawing
Tarp: P43 Lodgefly
Suspension: Whoopies
Insulation: P43 Down Quilts

Post by Idaho Hanger » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:35 pm

There are several reasons I'm here regularly and not there much at all.

I own firearms and carry one backpacking. It's common practice where I live and I might want to discuss it. Firearm safety is critical and I like looking at options of safe carry, safe storage in the hammock, etc.

I believe strongly in the first amendment. I don't attend church and that's my decision. A person's beliefs are a result of their education, experiences, thoughts and personal morals, ethics, etc. I didn't live your life, therefore I have no right to be offended by or question your beliefs, or your expression of your beliefs as long as that expression is not intentionally derogatory or inflammatory towards others. Sarge's avatar says "I am a Christian" and it makes me happy that he can post that here. He is. There's no reason to hide it because I'm not. That would be ludicrous.

The copyright thing. Holy crap. Really? How is that okay? That's right up there with patent trolls, or guys that email me and say they have a patent on a hammock design with a ridgeline bag so I can't put them on my hammocks. Ridiculous.

The "gear correctness" which is a great term, by the way. My first season in a hammock was an ENO double, a blue CCF pad, my down bag and a $7 blue tarp. It was comfy, warm and dry, so it was a good setup. If it gets you out in the woods safely, it's good gear. It makes me a little sad to see people judging others by the brands they buy. I thought I got away from that when I abandoned tent camping.

Most importantly, as kev137 wrote, there is a great level of respect here. We were all new to this at one time and we're all at different places in our experience and preferences. I love that there's a specific thread for beginners, and the members here seem to enjoy new ideas and helping newbies. They don't seem to enjoy bashing people because they don't have any titanium or cuben fiber, or getting upset because adults in a free country want to discuss religion or firearms.
“Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.” - Edward Abbey.

Return to “Guns”