Hanging with a handgun

Forum rules
Here, you can discuss Guns, Shooting, Hunting and other Outdoor Sports that involve Firearms. If you don't want to see Guns and related subjects being discussed, please respect the rights of the people here to do so in peace. We respect that right, that's why this forum was created. This Forum was not created for the purposes of you telling people that Guns shouldn't be discussed or that they should be banned. We respect your right to do so, but discussions about Gun Control and Gun Rights belong in the "I don't like guns and I want to say so." Forum and will be moved there when made in the Guns Forum.
ipokebadgers
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Hanging with a handgun

Post by ipokebadgers » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:04 am

What do you do with your side arm while you are sleeping in your hammock while camping?

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Re: Hanging with a handgun

Post by Scuba » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:25 am

If I am in my DreamHammock Thunderbird, I put it in the Peak Shelf. If not i hang it in a holster off my ridgeline.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

Keehar
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Keehar » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:15 pm

[quote="Scuba"]........ i hang it in a holster off my ridgeline.[/quote

This.
I understood at a very early age that in nature, I felt everything I should feel in church but never did. Walking in the woods, I felt in touch with the universe and with the spirit of the universe.

Foresight
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Foresight » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:53 pm

Same. Hang from ridgeline.

Idaho Hanger
Reactions:
Hammock: P43 Terrawing
Tarp: P43 Lodgefly
Suspension: Whoopies
Insulation: P43 Down Quilts

Post by Idaho Hanger » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:09 pm

I made a triangular bag for the ridgeline, point down with an opening on the side so the handgun can hang upside down, barrel up and away at a 45degree angle. Used a piece of shockcord from the bag to the foot end of the hammock so if I grab the gun and pull it the bag snaps away. It takes a little practice to get it out quickly but it hangs securely with the barrel in a safe position, which was my number one concern. I don't want a gun shifting position when I'm asleep.
“Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.” - Edward Abbey.

Trublmaker
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Trublmaker » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:43 pm

In my Ridgerunner, I put it in the indentation in my hammock above my head because I'm just crazy like that. In my Blackbied, I put it in the shelf segregated from my other stuff. Always in a holster of course.

Matthew2000tx
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Matthew2000tx » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:26 am

In my Eno DN it has that built in pocket on the side I have put it in the before while sleeping. Seems to work ok but weight of gun does pull a little
<>< Matthew R. <><
K5NON
Bike4Heck.com
Helotes, Texas

"Lighten Your Life And Enlighten Your Mind" -M.R.

bobamos
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by bobamos » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:48 am

Idaho Hanger wrote:I made a triangular bag for the ridgeline, point down with an opening on the side so the handgun can hang upside down, barrel up and away at a 45degree angle. Used a piece of shockcord from the bag to the foot end of the hammock so if I grab the gun and pull it the bag snaps away. It takes a little practice to get it out quickly but it hangs securely with the barrel in a safe position, which was my number one concern. I don't want a gun shifting position when I'm asleep.
Interesting. Would like to see photos of this...
Hennessy Expedition, Yukon Outfitters & Wilcor Mosquito Hammocks .... Plus, Equip Double. (Yep, a cheap Wally World but I like the thing for hanging on the patio.)

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Post by BillyBob66 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:55 pm

Idaho Hanger wrote:I made a triangular bag for the ridgeline, point down with an opening on the side so the handgun can hang upside down, barrel up and away at a 45degree angle. Used a piece of shockcord from the bag to the foot end of the hammock so if I grab the gun and pull it the bag snaps away. It takes a little practice to get it out quickly but it hangs securely with the barrel in a safe position, which was my number one concern. I don't want a gun shifting position when I'm asleep.
That sounds like a brilliant idea!
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

Idaho Hanger
Reactions:

Post by Idaho Hanger » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:39 pm

bobamos wrote:
Interesting. Would like to see photos of this...
I have some, for some reason I can no longer post photos from my phone or ipad. The attachments portion of the menu is gone.....
“Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.” - Edward Abbey.

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:53 pm

attachments are disabled because when you attach something it uses my server space/bandwidth. I recommend getting a dropbox account or similar photo hosting arrangement.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

Idaho Hanger
Reactions:

Post by Idaho Hanger » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:08 am

Return to “Guns”