only 1 type of 22 mag?

Forum rules
Here, you can discuss Guns, Shooting, Hunting and other Outdoor Sports that involve Firearms. If you don't want to see Guns and related subjects being discussed, please respect the rights of the people here to do so in peace. We respect that right, that's why this forum was created. This Forum was not created for the purposes of you telling people that Guns shouldn't be discussed or that they should be banned. We respect your right to do so, but discussions about Gun Control and Gun Rights belong in the "I don't like guns and I want to say so." Forum and will be moved there when made in the Guns Forum.
BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

only 1 type of 22 mag?

Post by BillyBob66 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:23 pm

I have what may be a bit of a fire arm rarity that I would like to start carrying in my pack rather than my heavier, larger Ruger Security Six 357 magnum. I inherited it from an uncle about 88 and don't recall ever firing it though maybe I did. I think he bought it new in the early to mid 70s. It is in almost new condition.

It is a High Standard Sentinel Mark 4 revolver. On the 3.5" barrel it says "22 magnum".

I have a just a few hollow point bullets that were in the 9 shot cylinder. I want to buy some more. Any one know if there is more than one cartridge that is called 22 magnum? I am almost certain that the few bullets I have are, and what High Standard meant by "22 mag", is 22 WMR or Winchester Magnum Rimfire. Is there any other ammo sold called 22 mag that is other than 22 WMR?

Obviously, I want to buy the right ammo. I found some specs for 22 WMR and the total cartridge length listed at 34.3 mm and case length of 26.8 mm seemed to match the ammo I have, as close as I am able to measure. Any one familiar with this pistol and it's ammo?

Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

rhjanes
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: only 1 type of 22 mag?

Post by rhjanes » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:56 pm

Not really. Take it to a gun store and ask? I have my dad's Ruger, revolver, 22 Magnum. It has TWO revolver parts. One takes the standard 22's and the other takes the magnums. I have some of the magnum shells, from AGES ago. I believe the brass was slightly larger? The cartrige is also long....like 1/8 or 3/16 longer than the 22 Long Rifle. But I'm guessing.
Call me Junior
Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes sargevining

pofloyd1
Reactions:
Hammock: Equip,YukonOutfitter
Tarp: Yukon Outfitters
Suspension: Mule tape
Insulation: diy top&under quilt

Post by pofloyd1 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:13 am

Pick up 22 mag rounds at any gun store of even Walmart. My buddy has a revolver that has two cylinders one takes 22 shorts, longs or long rifle and the other one takes 22 mag.

rhjanes
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by rhjanes » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:17 pm

pofloyd1 wrote:Pick up 22 mag rounds at any gun store of even Walmart. My buddy has a revolver that has two cylinders one takes 22 shorts, longs or long rifle and the other one takes 22 mag.
that is like the Ruger I attempted to badly describe. Thanks
Call me Junior
Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes sargevining

BillyBob66
Reactions:

Post by BillyBob66 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:54 pm

rhjanes wrote:Not really. Take it to a gun store and ask? I have my dad's Ruger, revolver, 22 Magnum. It has TWO revolver parts. One takes the standard 22's and the other takes the magnums. I have some of the magnum shells, from AGES ago. I believe the brass was slightly larger? The cartrige is also long....like 1/8 or 3/16 longer than the 22 Long Rifle. But I'm guessing.
Off Topic
pofloyd1 wrote:
Pick up 22 mag rounds at any gun store of even Walmart. My buddy has a revolver that has two cylinders one takes 22 shorts, longs or long rifle and the other one takes 22 mag.
Thx, that is what I will probably do, just go to one of the gun shops for final confirmation. I think that back in the day, this pistol also had an optional extra cylinder for 22 short, long and long rifle. I wouldn't mind having one of those, but no doubt near impossible to find. As I said, I am all but certain 22 WMR is the version of 22 magnum that this pistol was chambered for. Because the bullets that were in the chamber have the same case and overall length I find in the wiki specs for 22 WMR. Where as the other, older 22 magnum, or 22 WRF, is several mm shorter. Of course, that requires me to trust that my deceased uncle had the correct ammunition in the pistol, but that is probably a safe bet as he was quite knowledgeable re: firearms.

Also, what I can find on line for this long discontinued pistol, i.e. High Standard Sentinel Mark 4 is that it was chambered for the 22 WMR. So I think I will go buy some of that ammo.
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

Flatliner
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Flatliner » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:44 pm

They are the same thing. With that said, I personally wouldn't consider that a heavy enough cartridge for a pack gun. Just my $.02
Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it.
Proverbs 22:6

Just a middle age guy who likes doing outdoor things with his great kids...

pofloyd1
Reactions:

Post by pofloyd1 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:11 am

I think you will find that the cylinder will handle any 22 mag round just like the other cylinder would handle 22 shorts, longs or long rifle the difference being the length of the round and of course the power charge. Kind of like when the 357 came out most folks shot 38's in them because it was cheaper. Going with the round in the weapon is the way to go I would think. Good luck and enjoy shooting it.

BillyBob66
Reactions:

Post by BillyBob66 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:50 am

pofloyd1 wrote:I think you will find that the cylinder will handle any 22 mag round just like the other cylinder would handle 22 shorts, longs or long rifle the difference being the length of the round and of course the power charge. Kind of like when the 357 came out most folks shot 38's in them because it was cheaper. Going with the round in the weapon is the way to go I would think. Good luck and enjoy shooting it.
That makes sense, as the only difference in the 22 WMR and the 22 WRF is case and total length. All of the diameters are exactly the same. So the relationship is probably much like a 22 short or long to the long rifle.

Yesterday I took one of the bullets that had been in the cylinder, probably, on and off, since the 1970s or 80s, ( I had probably removed them to have a look a few times) with me to the gun store, and the 22 WMR (the only 22 type magnum they had, though I could get 22 WRF online) shells they had- same brand as the ones in the pistol(CCI) - appeared absolutely identical, except for maybe a slightly more obvious hollow point in the old ones. But size and appearance were otherwise identical, so I bought those. I was going to shoot some test rounds on my hike deep in the woods yesterday, but just didn't get around to it, probably will later.

There were also some snake shot rounds, but I think they were 22 LR. These shells have a very slightly smaller diameter shell(.226 vs .242) so they are not a snug fit. I have read that people sometimes shoot these in magnum revolvers, but you might get some gas flashing backwards between the shell casing and cylinder, and I suppose a possible burn to the hand. Or you might get case rupture and damage to the gun, so I will avoid that and order some 22 mag rat shot. EDIT: Nope, my mistake. I just looked at the shot shells, which are in their original container, and it says " CCI 22 Mini-mag shot shells". so I will have to look those up.

EDIT #2: OK, looks like the CCI mini mag is a souped up 22 LR, so I am not going to shoot these in this 22 WMR pistol, I will order some 22 magnum rat shot(the gun store did not have any in stock)

pofloyd1
Reactions:

Post by pofloyd1 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:12 am

Funny my buddy used some CCI 22 mag shot rounds last weekend. We both thought they did OK out to about 25 ft. But like he said a 22 or a 22 mag is better than nothing when push comes to shove. I love CCI mini mag in all of my 22 lr stuff but around here they are hard to find.

BillyBob66
Reactions:

Post by BillyBob66 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:54 am

pofloyd1 wrote:Funny my buddy used some CCI 22 mag shot rounds last weekend. We both thought they did OK out to about 25 ft. But like he said a 22 or a 22 mag is better than nothing when push comes to shove. I love CCI mini mag in all of my 22 lr stuff but around here they are hard to find.
So it was the actual 22 magnum ( 22 WMR ) shot shells you used that did OK? And not the CCI mini-mag(which is actually 22 LR)? They didn't have either kind of shot shells at my local store here, said they were out. The shot shells which came with the gun I inherited were mini-mag 22 LR. So I am not going to shoot those in this magnum pistol due to warnings I have read.

Speaking about the solid bullets (rather than shot), I know the 22 mag is not in the same league as the better known defense rounds (although I have seen it compared somewhat favorably to 380 auto). But as you say, better than nothing! Since I don't have bears as a potential problem in the areas where I usually hike, my only real concern are packs of dogs and people. Occasionally, some one around here gets killed(or torn up real bad) by dogs, either someone's pit bull that gets out of their yard, or by some variety pack of mixed breed of dogs that probably are not wild, but each dog belongs to someone. This does not happen in the woods, but in civilization, though it may be out in the country. Still, within site of houses and where people are. But once I was out in the woods where I often hike, an area inside a state park, and I stopped to adjust my pack. Out of nowhere, a deer came up behind me at full speed and nearly knocked me over. As I stood there watching the deer disappear into the woods, I heard the sound of running coming up behind me again, turned, and it was a pack of dogs chasing that deer. Once again nearly knocking me down, they were so close. Just the other day, I was hiking and heard the sound of something crashing through the woods, and a deer crossed my path on a run. And again, I heard the sound of something else running, and I figured it would be other deer following(usually is), but it was not. It was a lone coyote chasing that deer. I was cheering for the deer, but then again the coyote goes hungry if it fails. Nature is rough. Since dogs do (rarely) attack people around here, I sometimes wonder what I will do if I came up on an aggressive dog, or dogs, way out in the woods by myself. I feel sure 9 rounds of 22 mag before reloading, at very close range, would suffice for even a large dog or dogs, or any human that intended harm. And this pistol is noticeably lighter and smaller than my 357 magnum. And when I empty the gun, if there is no time to reload, at least I have a solid metal club in my hands!

pofloyd1
Reactions:

Post by pofloyd1 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:46 pm

It was the CCI 22 magnum 22 (WMR) shot rounds he was shooting, he picked them up at a farm store Rural King. We have the same problem people and dogs along with a sidearm I carry a Guard Dog Security spray that works well at about 15 foot. I never know what my buddy will show up with, from 22 lr thru to a 45 pistol or revolver plus he carries the spray also. Two teenage girls were murdered on one of the trails north of me. So like you said the two legged can be worse than the four legged ones. I am 72 and carry 380 or 22 lr pistol because they are light, easy to carry with extra mags and extra ammo if you want to. I had both knees and the index knuckle on my right hand replaced. So light and less recoil is good.

Flatliner
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

only 1 type of 22 mag?

Post by Flatliner » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:37 pm

Certainly a 22 or 380 you carry is better than the .45 or 10mm you left at home but for me it's a matter of stopping a threat before the threat can hurt me or someone I love. Most things I can avoid with situational awareness BUT if I can't avoid using force, I want to stop whatever the danger is as fast as possible. That means well placed shots (hence practice) that make big holes (hence a bigger caliber with the right ammo for the risk profile)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it.
Proverbs 22:6

Just a middle age guy who likes doing outdoor things with his great kids...

BillyBob66
Reactions:

Post by BillyBob66 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:48 pm

pofloyd1 wrote:It was the CCI 22 magnum 22 (WMR) shot rounds he was shooting, he picked them up at a farm store Rural King. We have the same problem people and dogs along with a sidearm I carry a Guard Dog Security spray that works well at about 15 foot. I never know what my buddy will show up with, from 22 lr thru to a 45 pistol or revolver plus he carries the spray also. Two teenage girls were murdered on one of the trails north of me. So like you said the two legged can be worse than the four legged ones. I am 72 and carry 380 or 22 lr pistol because they are light, easy to carry with extra mags and extra ammo if you want to. I had both knees and the index knuckle on my right hand replaced. So light and less recoil is good.
You mentioned the 2 girls murdered on the trails near you, and I mentioned the deer that ran right in front of me followed by the coyote. I don't recall ever hearing of coyotes killing or injuring humans, except for one a few years ago. t was in Canada. A young girl(adult), an up and coming singer just starting to become famous, showed up at an eastern(?) Canadian park for a day hike. She parked and checked in at the ranger station, and headed out. She was killed by a pack of coyotes. If only she had even had a 22 pistol, or bear spray. Actually, here is her sad story:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Mitchell
Last edited by BillyBob66 on Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pofloyd1
Reactions:

Post by pofloyd1 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:21 am

That is a sad story. Around here coyotes tend to avoid people but things can always change, dogs are more of a problem. People dump dogs off when they get tired of them, more in the winter or just let the dogs run loose. And I agree with Flatliner makes no difference what caliber you prefer if you don't practice it wont matter. Im lucky enough to have room for my own pistol, rifle range in the back yard.

Return to “Guns”