Brian Josephson, Nobel Laureate in Physics, Is “80 Percent” Confident in Intelligent Design

Forum rules
Here, you can discuss your Faith, post inspirational and Theological memes and quotations, ask questions of a Religious and spritutal nature, and discuss how your Religious Tradition views Life and the Outdoors. This forum is completely Non-Denominational and respects all Faith Traditions, regardless of Diety. If you don't want to see God, Religion, and Theology being discussed, please respect the rights of the people here to do so in peace. We respect that right, that's why this forum was created. Discussion should always be respectful of the people here and thier beliefs. This Forum was not created for the purposes of you talking people out of thier Faith or to insult their intelligence. We respect your right to do so, but will not allow that kind of discussion here.
BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Brian Josephson, Nobel Laureate in Physics, Is “80 Percent” Confident in Intelligent Design

Post by BillyBob66 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:25 pm

So, I certainly thought this was interesting. Not that this guy shares my views on the incredible prophetic accuracy of Moses and the rest of the Bible, but that is mere details. The point is, he seems to find what I would call "the obvious" more than reasonable. I.E. that it is obvious the universe has an intelligent designer. Well, duh. ;)

https://evolutionnews.org/2017/06/brian ... nt-design/
Off Topic
This is new to me. Brian Josephson is a Welsh physicist and 1973 Nobel laureate who estimates his confidence in intelligent design at about 80 percent........................................He compares design in evolution to human creativity, and concedes that his ideas about ID may not be consistent with traditional theism. The kicker comes at the end. Kuhn asks: “What is your confidence level, on a scale of 0 to 100, that the design of the process of evolution is by some kind of transcendent intelligence?”

Josephson answers: “Well, about 80 percent perhaps,” adding that “materialism would have a hard time if that were known to be correct.” And that is certainly true.

It need not be added – but I’ll add it anyway – that, obviously, one Nobel laureate’s say-so doesn’t establish the argument for design in biology or cosmology. But this is interesting, and it goes to show something we have seen here before: that once you reach a certain level of stature, and perhaps a certain age as well, you stop feeling the need to self-censor. Then the truth, as you see it, comes out. The same might be said of another Nobel Prize winner in physics, Charles Townes, who came out for intelligent design in cosmology.

At Uncommon Descent several years ago, V.J. Torley noted some ID-friendly remarks made by Josephson in a 2008 lecture to the Cambridge Physics Society, but this would seem to seal the case.

To judge from his Wikipedia page, this is not the first time Dr. Josephson has expressed sympathy for unorthodox views. Closer to Truth doesn’t date the interview, but one comment on it at their website goes back three years, so it’s not brand new. He is 77 years old and an emeritus professor at the Cavendish Laboratory, Cambridge University.
Or (since we just celebrated the 4th of July), a Thomas Jefferson put it, our inalienable rights were not given to us by governments, but by God:
https://evolutionnews.org/2017/07/we-ho ... f-evident/
Off Topic
“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights.” If we had received our rights only from the government, then the government could justifiably take them away.

Jefferson himself thought that there was scientific evidence for design in nature. In 1823, he insisted so in a letter to John Adams:

I hold (without appeal to revelation) that when we take a view of the Universe, in its parts general or particular, it is impossible for the human mind not to perceive and feel a conviction of design, consummate skill, and indefinite power in every atom of its composition.

Contemplating everything from the heavenly bodies down to the creaturely bodies of men and animals, he argued:

It is impossible, I say, for the human mind not to believe that there is, in all this, design, cause and effect, up to an ultimate cause, a fabricator of all things from matter and motion.

With such thoughts in mind, he wrote the Declaration, asserting the inalienable rights of human beings derived from “the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God.”...........................

Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

Return to “God”