Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

UL Tent Stakes

Post by Mophead » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:35 pm

Fooling around with some damaged carbon arrows and titanium scrap. Made a set of 8 stakes that total less than 1oz.

First type is a carbon stake like the Ruta locura ones. There is a tip of a golf tee and zip tie epoxied to a shaft.

Second is a titanium wire stake loosely based on the terra nova ones. This is my second time working with titanium and it's surprisingly easy to work with and end up with good results. They're coming in at scant 2g a piece.

I've used the carbon stakes already on a trip and they are great for less compacted soil. We will see how the ti ones do for the more compacted stuff.
Last edited by Mophead on Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

rhjanes
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: UL Tent Stakes

Post by rhjanes » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:57 pm

nice. Ive got like 8 of the Ruta ones. I added some Nite line for pulling out of the ground and also to see at night.
My stove has two TI hooks, so those can double use as stakes....
Call me Junior
Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes sargevining

Reactions:

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:32 am

I had considered dipping the tops or something to make them more visible. I plan on using the ti skewers with my stove, too. Figured the paint would flake off from the heat. I usually just use four guy outs on a rectangle tarp. I just plan on using the wire stakes if I close one end with doors.

If I make some more carbon ones I might use some reflective cord in place of the zip tie and attach it with an epoxied clove hitch or constrictor knot. Still not sure how I want to make them. As you can see, I started with gluing a tee top in and decided to change it.

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:32 am

I had considered dipping the tops or something to make them more visible. I plan on using the ti skewers with my stove, too. Figured the paint would flake off from the heat. I usually just use four guy outs on a rectangle tarp. I just plan on using the wire stakes if I close one end with doors.

If I make some more carbon ones I might use some reflective cord in place of the zip tie and attach it with an epoxied clove hitch or constrictor knot. Still not sure how I want to make them. As you can see, I started with gluing a tee top in and decided to change it.

rhjanes
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by rhjanes » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:06 pm

^ ^ interesting posts here for the Admin to look at. Notice that the first posted as "Guest"? I take it that Mophead wasn't logged in and posted. Logged in and re-posted. So can "Guest" post in some of the sub-forums?
Call me Junior
Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes sargevining

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

UL Tent Stakes

Post by Mophead » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:18 pm

This has happened to me before. Sometimes it double posts as guest and under my account. I've seen it happen once to someone else as well. I am using tapatalk.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:22 am

rhjanes wrote:^ ^ interesting posts here for the Admin to look at. Notice that the first posted as "Guest"? I take it that Mophead wasn't logged in and posted. Logged in and re-posted. So can "Guest" post in some of the sub-forums?
I usually catch those. They show up as Admin messages. Scuba has an aversion to deleting posts (a hangover from the other place), but in these cases I will delete the Guest post. Other Admins will go ahead and approve them.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

kev137
Reactions:
Hammock: diy HyperD 1.6oz
Tarp: Warbonnet Mamajamba
Suspension: Whoopie slings tree
Insulation: DIY climashield/ Snu

Post by kev137 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:37 pm

Any more feedback on how these are working? I was thinking of making some. I recently pulled some old gutters off my house and kept some of the aluminum gutter nails for tarp stakes. Only used them once in the backyard for a nap, I mean scientific test. Worked well even in the soft sand we call soil here in Florida. But your carbon fiber ones look nice and robust.
" No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride", Hunter S. Thompson

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

UL Tent Stakes

Post by Mophead » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:04 am

I have used the carbon fiber several times and they work great for anything but hard rocky ground. Most the soil around where I camp is silt loam and they do great. Probably worth a shot in your soil.

Edit: said sandy loam but it is actually silt loam. Fixed the response. Silt loam is about half as much sand content as sandy loam. But anyway... It's pretty loose soil.

kev137
Reactions:
Hammock: diy HyperD 1.6oz
Tarp: Warbonnet Mamajamba
Suspension: Whoopie slings tree
Insulation: DIY climashield/ Snu

Post by kev137 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:59 pm

Thanks for the reply. Another project for my to do (someday) list! I've been using cheap aluminum Coughlin stakes from wally world, but they're starting to get bent up. So I've been looking for a replacement, but hate spending to much ( I'm a baller on a budget ) for something i might damage it loose.
" No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride", Hunter S. Thompson

stim
Reactions:
Hammock: DH FreeBird
Tarp: HH Hex
Suspension: Whoopies
Insulation: GG Pad&JungleBlanket

Post by stim » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:48 am

Very nice. I'm looking at a more lightweight option for my stakes and might give this a try.

Return to “DIY General Information”