Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Down Underquilt build (Pics)

Post by Mophead » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:03 pm

First go at a down underquilt. I was shooting for mid 30 temp rating. Built with argon 0.9oz/sq yard, mystery down from Amazon, 0.67 no see um. Used under $60 of materials with 9+ oz of down and plenty of no-see-um left over. It has 1.5in. baffles with a 2in max loft with differential. Measures 40x46in.

Special thanks to sarge, billybob, and idahohanger for their input a while ago on the design.

Image early weigh in for materials. Looks like around 10oz total after stuffing with down.

Sewing the second side baffles to the second side. Patience is the key.

Image Patience... And lots of binder clips.

Boogered up the corner a little. Hopefully won't affect performance too much. The ends were the surprise challenge of the project. I had to do a lot of pleating and crazy stuff to get it to come out. Next time I'll probably opt for darts to make the shells' width match or something.

Stuffing:
I didn't snap a pic but I used a smaller section of capped pvc to push the down out.

Down hasn't had a chance to fully disperse and loft but looks promising.

11.90oz with suspension. Going to tweak this some more.

I'll try to post some more finished pics and usage reports of how it works. A quick hang in the back yard feels toasty.
Last edited by Mophead on Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Down Underquilt build (Pics)

Post by sarge » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:07 pm

Looks great.

Still playing with crayons I see.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:23 pm

sarge wrote:Looks great.

Still playing with crayons I see.
You can have a lot of fun with crayons. It took a lot of pleading to get that from my daughter. She only wanted to give me brown or black.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:42 pm

I actually wish I'd thought of it. I've been using ball point pens and Markasalot.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:14 pm

sarge wrote:I actually wish I'd thought of it. I've been using ball point pens and Markasalot.
I used a silver sharpie for small marks here and there but for the long lines of the baffles the crayon was nice. If you have an old sliver of a bar of soap it also works.

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Post by gmcpcs » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:57 pm

Wow. You really did a great job! Hats off to you for attempting one of the "Advanced DIY" levels of the Hammocking build game :-)

Take it easy,
GMCPCS
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:46 pm

Thanks! "Great" is probably an overstatement, good or good enough is more like it. This was certainly the hardest I've done so far. Though, it was really not THAT bad. If anyone else is on the fence I'd say go for it. If you've done hammocks and tarps most of this will be a breeze for you.

Also, I updated the original post with a couple new pics of the ends. I stitched a button hole in the middle and adjustment is made with a single cord lock there.

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:26 pm

Awesome job. I have nowhere near the patience necessary to do that. Hats off!
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:29 pm

Scuba wrote:Awesome job. I have nowhere near the patience necessary to do that. Hats off!
Thanks!

Here's a pic of it in action this past weekend.

Lows were 40 and 39. Got a little cold around 345am, but probably was because of the fit. It wasn't anything major. Just a little chill and got back to sleep no problem. Once I get the suspension worked out I think it'll hit mid to high 30s easily.

Return to “DIY General Information”