Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Costco UQ - another one.

Post by Scott » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:37 am

Living on the third coast mostly eliminates the need for deep winter insulation. I want a 20 degree solution so when I travel out west to high elevations I know I will be OK.

This weekend gave me the chance to test my latest quilt setup. It is probably too heavy and bulky for most backpackers, we will see how it goes for me.

Base - Jungle Blanket UQ (see sarges videos)
Middle layer - Costco down throw, seems ripped to get slightly more loft, and the last square on the long sides folded in to help seal the side to the jungle blanket.
Upper layer - Costco down throw reduced in size to 45x60 to consolidate the down.

I used snaps to hold them together - that will take some more modifying (adding more snaps) to keep it all where I want it. But last night I took it down to 22 degrees with no problem. Total guess, but I could have gone under 20, MAYBE 15? I could feel the cool start to poke through, but I was by no mean cold. My top insulation was another down throw inside my 25 degree mummy bag. I think if I got in and zipped it, instead of using it like a top quilt, I might have gotten a few more degees. I wore a thin down vest from sams club, a thin synthetic packable jacket, t shirt, flannel PJ pants, and regular socks. I also had a beanie when I went to sleep, but it came off in the night.

Overall I am pleased with its performance. Three modular layers that can be added individually as the temp dictates. Not counting snaps or suspension - Total investment about $70 for UQ. Not bad for a system that will take me from summer through winter.

Texas sucede? Y'all are lucky we don't invade!

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Costco UQ - another one.

Post by sarge » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:55 am

That Jungle Blanket will give you good wind protection. A sock might help you get those few more degrees you'te looking for.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Flatliner
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Flatliner » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:53 am

Sarge, is a sock similar to a winter cover on an XLC? If so, I tested my winter cover with thermometers in the BWCA for a long weekend and my empirical data says it gets you a full 10* improvement.
Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it.
Proverbs 22:6

Just a middle age guy who likes doing outdoor things with his great kids...

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:25 am

Essentially, yes. I saw the same results with the Fronkeysock I made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emfp9pQ ... Bj&index=2
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Return to “DIY General Information”