Calait
Reactions:
Hammock: ENO DoubleNest Set
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation: closed foam

Under-quilt for ENO DoubleNest Hammock

Post by Calait » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:00 pm

I am planning an under quilt for my ENO Double Nest, I am planning to use 1.1 oz ripstop Nylon - Downproof for the inner liner
250D Polyester for the outer liner, NoSeeUm Netting for baffle material, and DownTek 800fp Duck Down for my insulation, according to CatSplat's Differential Cut Underquilt Calculator V.3.1 this should get me down to about 18* F. using 8 oz of down.
I am planning to have a 66x45 quilt baffle height 1-inch chamber height will be .5 inch. Leaving .5 inch for seam allowance, and 1.5-inches for cord channels. Materials are coming from DIYGearSupply.com

Suggestions and corrections would be most appreciated, I am not sure which cordage or how many to use. Thinking of using 1/2 inch shock cord, attaching to the carabiner attaching to my suspension system.

Any day in the outdoors is better than a day at work.

Idaho Hanger
Reactions:
Hammock: P43 Terrawing
Tarp: P43 Lodgefly
Suspension: Whoopies
Insulation: P43 Down Quilts

Re: Under-quilt for ENO DoubleNest Hammock

Post by Idaho Hanger » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:21 pm

I'm confused about the math and temp rating. 1" baffles with .5" chambers doesn't make sense to me; the chamber height should be more than the baffle height. As far as the temp rating, you need about 2.25" of loft to hit 20 degrees, not sure how that math works with 1" baffles. Can you clarify the numbers? I feel like there either is a typo or I'm missing something.

As far as your other question, 1/2" shock cord is probably overkill. I've used 1/8" and 3/32" with good results.
“Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.” - Edward Abbey.

Calait
Reactions:
Tarp:
Suspension:

Post by Calait » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:06 pm

Idaho Hanger wrote:I'm confused about the math and temp rating. 1" baffles with .5" chambers doesn't make sense to me; the chamber height should be more than the baffle height. As far as the temp rating, you need about 2.25" of loft to hit 20 degrees, not sure how that math works with 1" baffles. Can you clarify the numbers? I feel like there either is a typo or I'm missing something.

As far as your other question, 1/2" shock cord is probably overkill. I've used 1/8" and 3/32" with good results.
You are not confused, I missed the numbers and have edited them as such. I had the numbers reversed and need to correct the loft, CatSlat's Differentia Cut Underquilt Calculator V3.1 shows Baffle height, inches (Hb) 1 inch, Maximum chamber height, inches (Hc) 1.5. Thanks for the shock cord suggestion.

Calait
Reactions:
Tarp:
Suspension:

Post by Calait » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:21 pm

Upon further inspection I found I have changed some cells which need no changing, I will post my new numbers tomorrow evening.

Calait
Reactions:
Tarp:
Suspension:

Post by Calait » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:03 pm

Ok, here are my corrected calculations 66X45. Please consider all numbers x inches. Baffle height (Hb) 1.5, Maximum chamber Height (Hc) 2 using DownTek 800fp Duck Down for my insulation, using 20% over stuff with .5 seam allowance, 1.5 width of cord channel, Shell fabric weight per yd2 1.1, and baffle material weight per yd2 .5 . CatSplat's Differential Cut Underquilt Calculator V3.1 this should be a quilt down to roughly 26* F. Per Idaho Hanger using 1/8 shock cord with suggested cord locks, I am thinking 2 double and 2 single for the width

Return to “DIY General Information”