PREACHER
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Choose between these two thread injectors

Post by PREACHER » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:18 pm

I know I've been gone for awhile but, but it's camping season and I am finally settled from the new move / job.

I have been given my choice of one of my friend's extra sewing machines. I don't know much about either so please help me decide.

Thanks in advance!
I have a machine, but its cheap and basic so, I think either of these would be a step up.

UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Re: Choose between these two thread injectors

Post by UncleMJM » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:34 pm

Disclaimer: I know nothing about sewing machines or about keeping my mouth shut and revealing my ignorance.

Having said that, I'd go with the Singer. The bobbin is magic! Who wouldn't want a magic bobbin? :o
Also, I always figured clergy to be partial to singers. :lol:

The Remington is a much cooler name and looks solid. 8-)

I hope someone who knows something gives you good advice so I can learn from it as well. :-)

PREACHER
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by PREACHER » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:58 pm

UncleMJM wrote: Also, I always figured clergy to be partial to singers.
LOL

All of your points are quite valid.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:59 pm

The Singer is the one I'd go for, unless your mission is to sink the Bismark, then go for the Remington.

The folding table is nice, and the stitch variety has a few that you will use, like bar tacks and zig zag.

Take it to a competent sewing machine repair shop and have it looked over/tuned up and you should be good to go.

Here's the manual:

https://infocostura.files.wordpress.com ... -690-u.pdf
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:45 pm

PREACHER!!!!! you coming to Fairfield? I don't see you on the sign up sheet.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

PREACHER
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by PREACHER » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:46 pm

sarge wrote:The Singer is the one I'd go for, unless your mission is to sink the Bismark, then go for the Remington.

The folding table is nice, and the stitch variety has a few that you will use, like bar tacks and zig zag.

Take it to a competent sewing machine repair shop and have it looked over/tuned up and you should be good to go.

Thanks a bunch Sarge!
Scuba wrote:PREACHER!!!!! you coming to Fairfield? I don't see you on the sign up sheet.
Not sure Tom. Trying really hard to make the date work, and may be able to, but still unsure. I will firm that up as soon as I can.

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:08 pm

If you can ,we'll find you some trees
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

TXyakr
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by TXyakr » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:17 pm

Singer parts are much easier to find. If you provided serial number I (or anyone) could look up to see when and where made. But by about time of that model I think most "home" machines were made with nylon/plastic gears not metal. Obviously metal last longer, also motors last longer and can sew thicker fabric without burning up. Clean and re-lube often to avoid burnt out motors. My mother didn't and burned out some good machines, such a waste they were good machines. I would flip both up and look at gears and rods etc. on the bottom, then it is obvious, also if full of cheap cotton thread fuzzy and oil/grease, i.e. not been cleaned and re lubricated as it should have been. I am just a snob and only want certain models of machines, but many others are just fine. How you use and maintain them makes the most difference. At least that was a real Singer. All made today and for many years are not "Real Singer" machines because Chinese company bought out several brand names only, nothing else, and sells cheap junk with those "labels" on them, i.e. fake brand names. This was true of the Remington machine even back in 1960s. So it has an interesting story but not worth the space to keep it for most of us. http://www.sewalot.com/remington_sewing_machine.htm

TXyakr
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by TXyakr » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:30 pm

An online Singer Serial Number databases. Then Google that model number and year or period and read up about it.

http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine ... abase.html

Some of the early zig-zag singer machines are worth having. The motors are strong and replaceable (can still buy), and gears are mostly or all metal. Most other brands are just historically interesting, nothing I really want to waste my time with. I do have a Canadian made White from 1940's but its not worth the space it wastes truthfully. Only about 6 vintage models I would ever consider. 201-2 is a personal favorite but not zig-zag. If you find one of these that is functional please let me bid on it, if it cost over $500 never mind... I mostly try to find around $50 and that is super difficult :-)

I am often wrong, but fairly sure that Singer is 690U model from the 1970's. PDF manual and sources for parts. If I am correct the gears are nylon so quieter than metal but important to keep clean and lubricated so they last because they are expensive to replace. However this machine should provide far more trouble free hours of sewing than most you buy today new for less than $500 in my opinion. For a "modern" small portable "home" machine my favorite is the "Rachel" model by "Baby Lock" (actually still designed in the USA) and not just because my first born "baby" we named Rachel, but this model is a great general purpose machine, on sale for about $500.

manual:
https://infocostura.files.wordpress.com ... -690-u.pdf

parts, not a comprehensive list many other sources as well:
http://www.tandtrepair.com/SingerGears.html

http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/singer ... parts.aspx
Last edited by TXyakr on Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

TXyakr
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by TXyakr » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:07 pm

One of dozens of worthwhile articles to read. These machines are very simple compared to a car or lawn mower and if you understand them a little bit you will be able to tell why one is better than another just by looking at it carefully. But bottom line for me is can I buy parts for it. If not then it is just a decorative item in a house with no space for such. I.e. I don't want to live in a museum.
http://www.madalynne.com/plastic-or-all ... ng-machine

Return to “DIY General Information”