sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Summer Sale At Harmony House

Post by sarge » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:48 pm

I get a lot of my dehydrated veggies at Harmony House. They're having a summer sale on their Samplers and backpacking kits.

Each if the bags contains a cup of product, which is a much larger portion than what you get from Dutch. That doesn't necessarily mean its a better value as you have to store it in a dry environment after opening. Dutch sells what is essentially individual portions. The Harmony House stuff is good if you get out a lot or are doing a thru and need three hots a day for more than a couple days or weeks.

http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/HOT-Su ... c_170.html

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Summer Sale At Harmony House

Post by Mophead » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:49 pm

Anyone tried their soups?

TVP I've tasted as a meat extender before is pretty nasty and it looks like most of the pack is "______ish"soups.

However... 37 bucks for 18 pouches comes to just over $2.00 per bag. (Before shipping) And if they are 1 cup bags there could be 2 meals per bag (extending with dehydrated mashed potatoes or other stuff if necessary).

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:29 pm

I use thier "soup mix" all the time. Its really just dehydratred veggies without any boullion, spices, or stock---so its adaptable as all get out. I buy that in the "bottle" size.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

HammockMom
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by HammockMom » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:32 pm

You should be able to extend the shelf life of opened dehydrated foods by freezing or vacuum sealing them. OK, the freezing part needs no explanation. A cheap option for vacuum sealing is a repurposed sealable glass jar and some sort of vacuum pump. Any glass jar with a screw-on lid that has a rubber gasket is a candidate for repurposing this way. Make a very small hole near the center of the lid with a push pin or other sharp object, cover it with a small piece of electrical tape, leaving one corner raised so the hole is not covered just yet. Then vacuum. You should find that the tape is not only covering the hole, but it is sucked a bit into the hole. If you lift the tape and hear air rush in, you were successful, but then have to reseal the jar. You can buy a small hand-held battery-operated pump, or just pick up one of the syringe-looking vacuum pumps intended for specific Ziplok bags. It will work quite well.

If the volume of your jar is much greater than the quantity of food you wish to seal, you can place compatible foods into separate sandwich bags, leaving just a tiny opening in the zip part, carefully stack them in the jar, and seal it. The jar should hold on your home shelf for months. Dehydrated meats you might wish to refrigerate or freeze if you aren't using them within a few months.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:02 pm

Yah, I do the freezer thing. Its just that the Little Colonel complains about there not being enough room for regular food-------
My You Tube Channel

Return to “Cookware, Recipes, and Waterware (is that a word?)”