sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Spork Talk

Post by sarge » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:47 am

So. Let's talk about Sporks. A quick initial review of a new little piece of gear I just got.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V_aLsnfaEw

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Re: Spork Talk

Post by Scuba » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:01 pm

Sprongs. That is all.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:20 pm

Yahbut--

$12 ea vs $3.50 ea.

And I can't get past the whole "salad tool" thing in my head.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

bobamos
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by bobamos » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:23 pm

Hey, one can never over estimate the value of food... And how it is delivered is just as important... LOL
Hennessy Expedition, Yukon Outfitters & Wilcor Mosquito Hammocks .... Plus, Equip Double. (Yep, a cheap Wally World but I like the thing for hanging on the patio.)

Scott
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Scott » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:47 pm

bobamos wrote:Hey, one can never over estimate the value of food... And how it is delivered is just as important... LOL
Or for me, how food is delivered is not important at all. Sticks, fingers, whatever. As long as it makes it past the molars. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Texas sucede? Y'all are lucky we don't invade!

kev137
Reactions:
Hammock: diy HyperD 1.6oz
Tarp: Warbonnet Mamajamba
Suspension: Whoopie slings tree
Insulation: DIY climashield/ Snu

Post by kev137 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:44 am

Some people worry that a search of their YouTube history will show something embarrassing like piano playing cats. Not me. I just watched a 10 minute disscusion on sporks. Nothing embarrassing about that. Before that it was flynguy's climashield underquilt video.

Thanks guys for making my night at work entertaining.
" No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride", Hunter S. Thompson

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:30 am

Dang.

You didn't mention the time I used my tightie whities in a gear test-----
My You Tube Channel

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:41 am

FWIW, an old militaria collector buddy has done some research on the controversy and weighs in with this historical information.
Really, the science is settled. It is a spoon with a fork on it.

It all began back in 1865 when Hiram Increase (H.I.) McWhorter, a Scottish immigrant from Hahira, Georgia, was making his way back home from Appomattox as part of the recently defeated Confederacy. Having only an old wooden spoon he'd picked up along the way somewhere, he found it difficult to eat meat and certain vegetables without getting his hands dirty. Thus, he used his bayonet to fashion a series of small spikes at the leading edge of the spoon. He initially called his invention a foon, because it was a spoon with a fork attached to it, but upon deciding that sounded ridiculous (to be likened with "buffoon" or "loon"), he changed the name to spork (thankfully "Mork" and "Ork" wouldn't enter the American lexicon for another 113 years). Modern historians believe this change in name is what prompted the controversy of "which is it?" in the first place.
My You Tube Channel

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Post by gmcpcs » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:54 am

OK, I think you are sinister biased. The number one reason I don't use those fancy style sporks, are that they are RIGHT-HANDED. You are leaving out a factor that 9-20% of the population considers.

Now, the other factor that I think is important, that you did "touch" upon, was the short handled tools causing you to touch the sides of the bag. I personally prefer not to lick my fingers if I have been out in the woods a while, unless I can clean them sufficiently with soap and water.

The folding tool seems a bit gimmicky to me, but I know that is the point of this review...:-)

I am interested in seeing a part 2 of this very fascinating topic. One idea I have for you to try: Carry the church social spork and use the small amount of duck tape (You always carry, right?) to take a scavenged stick to increase the length of your utensil. Just a thought, and I anxiously await further discussion and review.

When I see you at the BB Hang, I will share with you my McGyvered MRE Spoon, which was my "Go-to" Freezer bag utensil, until it broke. Please don't forget to ask about it :-)

For me personally, proper ambidextrous use is number 1, and length of the utensil is number 2.

(Yes, I did watch a ten minute video about sporks too, Kev137)

Take it easy, keep up the good videos!
GMCPCS
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:07 am

You do know that the last time someone asked me to do some follow up on a subject, we ended up with 6 videos on bowl bags doncha?
My You Tube Channel

kev137
Reactions:
Hammock: diy HyperD 1.6oz
Tarp: Warbonnet Mamajamba
Suspension: Whoopie slings tree
Insulation: DIY climashield/ Snu

Post by kev137 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:27 pm

You didn't mention the time I used my tightie whities in a gear test-----[/quote]

I already did. I think i said something to the effect of ," never underestimate the power of the mighty tighty whitey". And speaking of your famous drawers, I noticed they made a guest appearance in your latest you can get there from here video at the lake. :D
" No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride", Hunter S. Thompson

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:10 pm

kev137 wrote:You didn't mention the time I used my tightie whities in a gear test-----

I already did. I think i said something to the effect of ," never underestimate the power of the mighty tighty whitey". And speaking of your famous drawers, I noticed they made a guest appearance in your latest you can get there from here video at the lake. :D
Yes, and then before I could get them when they were dry, Zort's dog Jager flung them into the lake where they sunk.

I don't get no respect I tell ya---
My You Tube Channel

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:32 pm

How about the time we did an extended weekend at Neiderhoffer and I had t run into town to buy underwear for you?
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Post by UncleMJM » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:17 pm

Careful, it looks like this thread is on the edge of that slippery slope of eroding that campfire creed of what happens at Neiderhoffer stays at Neiderhoffer.

Return to “Cookware, Recipes, and Waterware (is that a word?)”