sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Do We Really Need Cozies~ Part II

Post by sarge » Wed May 25, 2016 6:41 am

Here's that video on testing to see what insulative effect a cozy does have, plus a couple of other items we have in out packs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZGaCT2kWQQ

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

kev137
Reactions:
Hammock: diy HyperD 1.6oz
Tarp: Warbonnet Mamajamba
Suspension: Whoopie slings tree
Insulation: DIY climashield/ Snu

Re: Do We Really Need Cozies~ Part II

Post by kev137 » Thu May 26, 2016 9:56 pm

Never underestimate the power of the mighty tighty whitey. Do you work alone and if not did you warn your co workers about your experiment? Would love to have seen someone walking into the breakroom and seeing that test in progress with no explanation.

Thanks for the follow up video. Very informative and entertaining.
" No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride", Hunter S. Thompson

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Fri May 27, 2016 6:57 am

Thanks for watching.

Nobody at work would be the least bit surprised. I've been working there for 12 years now. They kind of expect these kinds of things.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Fri May 27, 2016 10:00 am

A bandana lost 1 degree less than a top quilt!? That's shocking. Your numbers looked better than mine. I saw a ten degree improvement over no coozie using fleece and reflectix and almost no improvement using a space blanket bag.

Material to material comparisons might be more difficult than I thought because it's hard to control the starting temp in the bag. A starting temp of 198 is understandable going to drop more than one of 178.

A few things I think this still clears up is
1. After 15 min none were nearing 140 which is the temp you'd have to start being concerned.
2. Anything will work better than nothing. Even if it's a bandana. So most any pack item can be a multi purpose cozie.
3. If you're ok with eating hot food rather than food that's hot + 5 degrees (or less) there doesn't seem to be a clear benefit for reflectix. Maybe this would be different for deep winter scenarios but not sure.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Fri May 27, 2016 12:13 pm

This was posted as a comment on the video, which helps the inconsistent starting temp thing:
Since your starting temps are not all consistent, one way to measure it is % Heat loss.

Cozy: 183 to 167 for -16 degrees is -8.7%

Nothing: 198 to 162 for -36 degrees is -18.2%

Your prior No cozy, Fridge (48F): 194 to 153 for -41 degrees at -21.1%
I do think the evidence shows that just about anything will reduce the heat loss.

I also think that it shows that at temps above those of a refrigerator, tighty whites are nearly as effective as a cozy and the difference isn't enough to worry about.

Some folks have told me they like to use the cozy to keep the food warm as they putter around camp. IOW, they don't necessarily eat their food as soon as its done. That makes sense (although I'm the kind of guy who doesn't start supper under all the camp chores are done), but I also think that they could do that as effectively using a jacket---or underwear.
My You Tube Channel

Return to “Cookware, Recipes, and Waterware (is that a word?)”