sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Testing the High Heat Bowl Bag From Make Your Gear

Post by sarge » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:28 pm

I was flooded out of my camping trip this weekend, so I take you to where I work so we can do some "destructive" testing of the "High Heat Bowl Bag" from Dutch's new website "Make Your Gear."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg5hxVJpXV8

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

GoatHanger
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Testing the High Heat Bowl Bag From Make Your Gear

Post by GoatHanger » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:09 am

Good AND cheap, great news. Thanks for testing and sharing the results.

Now I don't have to wonder whether or not the used bag of mine is worth taking on my upcoming trip. Nothing worse than pouring your hot water into one of your meals when you're really hungry out on the trail, and watching it leak right out of the side or bottom. Only happened to me once, but that was enough to know I don't want it to happen again!

Thanks again.
This is my signature.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:17 am

Thanks for watching!
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:35 pm

Just got a load of them in the mail today and they look very nice. I have used the older "cooking bags" like the ones sold by packit gourmet and washed and reused them. These appear to be even nicer and thicker plastic. I tested the seal by blowing a little air into the bag, submerging in water and squeezing. I got some small air bubbles coming out of the corners of the bag where they zip. I think this is probably good since they have to hold hot "boiling" liquids. But if I use it for a re-hydration chamber while hiking they may need to go inside another light duty bag as a secondary containment. This video is very re-assuring though, thanks!

If you are looking for video ideas I wouldn't mind seeing a "koozie vs no koozie" battle. With the old bags I didnt see much faster cooking with a coozie and it was mostly just nice for holding the hot bag. I wonder if these new-and-improved bags make even less of a difference... or if I just suck at making koozies ;)

kev137
Reactions:
Hammock: diy HyperD 1.6oz
Tarp: Warbonnet Mamajamba
Suspension: Whoopie slings tree
Insulation: DIY climashield/ Snu

Post by kev137 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:05 pm

Thanks for the review. Answered a few questions i had. So now i have another item for my Dutch want list!
" No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride", Hunter S. Thompson

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:20 pm

Mophead wrote:Just got a load of them in the mail today and they look very nice. I have used the older "cooking bags" like the ones sold by packit gourmet and washed and reused them. These appear to be even nicer and thicker plastic. I tested the seal by blowing a little air into the bag, submerging in water and squeezing. I got some small air bubbles coming out of the corners of the bag where they zip. I think this is probably good since they have to hold hot "boiling" liquids. But if I use it for a re-hydration chamber while hiking they may need to go inside another light duty bag as a secondary containment. This video is very re-assuring though, thanks!

If you are looking for video ideas I wouldn't mind seeing a "koozie vs no koozie" battle. With the old bags I didnt see much faster cooking with a coozie and it was mostly just nice for holding the hot bag. I wonder if these new-and-improved bags make even less of a difference... or if I just suck at making koozies ;)
Heh;

After rasslin' with making a koozie for this thing, I've started to wonder about the "koozie vs no koozie" thing myself.
Note to self: get a quick reading food thermometer.
My You Tube Channel

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:21 pm

kev137 wrote:Thanks for the review. Answered a few questions i had. So now i have another item for my Dutch want list!
Thanks for watching!

Dutch might be a bit disappointed that folks will be using these a few times before buying new ones, but I also think he'll sell enough of them that he won't mind too much.
My You Tube Channel

Return to “Cookware, Recipes, and Waterware (is that a word?)”