What is your favorite cooking oil for the trail, and how do you carry it while backpacking?

cmseeley
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

What is your favorite cooking oil for the trail, and how do you carry it while backpacking?

Post by cmseeley » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:55 am

What is your favorite cooking oil for the trail, and how do you if at all carry it while backpacking?
I really like Coconut oil for the trail! At this point, at least in my opinion, it can not be beat. I carry mine in a small prescription type medicine bottle. How about you all?

Have a look at my latest article and let me know your thoughts and opinions on the subject.

http://www.chipperoutdoors.com/home/ind ... icle&id=20

Thanks for reading,

Chris

Chris (Chipper)

It seems like a good time to get lost in the woods for a few days! -- www.chipperoutdoors.com --

GoatHanger
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: What is your favorite cooking oil for the trail, and how do you carry it while backpacking?

Post by GoatHanger » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:47 am

Wow, I did not realize how versatile coconut oil was. That's really impressive. I will definitely be trying some of this out. Great article, thanks for sharing it.

I usually take rendered bacon fat. It melts at a bit lower temp than coconut oil, but I love the taste! Not sure of the calorie content.

I store it in containers I make from tops of plastic bottles. I don't have any pics handy (I'm at work), but here is where I got the idea. I also store salt and pepper, sugar, cotton, and medicine in them.

https://youtu.be/sJC4ngQvQNY

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
This is my signature.

cmseeley
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: What is your favorite cooking oil for the trail, and how do you carry it while backpacking?

Post by cmseeley » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:03 am

Thanks GoatHanger!

Thanks for the tip on the bottle cap container! Great idea!
Chris (Chipper)

It seems like a good time to get lost in the woods for a few days! -- www.chipperoutdoors.com --

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Post by gmcpcs » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:50 pm

I carry oil in re-purposed 5 hour energy bottles. (Coconut or olive) I use them for alcohol fuel also, they hold about 2 oz. If I was going for longer than a weekend, I would need to figure something else out though. I like them because I can be sure the lid is on tight enough to keep it from leaking...

Take it easy,
GMCPCS
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:49 am

Most of my camping doesn't involve long distance hiking where max caloric intake is necessary. IF I was doing some of that though, I would definitely carry either coconut of olive oil.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

Polkster13
Reactions:
Hammock: DH Sparrow (#3008)
Tarp: OES MacCat Std
Suspension: Whoopie Slings
Insulation: WL 20* Full UQ

Post by Polkster13 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:49 am

HEB has a small plastic bottle with very good olive oil in it. For a long trip, I usually take a full bottle. For shorter trips I will pour out what I don't think I will need into a larger bottle of olive oil that I have around the house. I have also used avocado oil in place of the olive oil.

Ridgeline
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Ridgeline » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:59 pm

I use olive oil and store it in a cleaned out reused Water flavoring container such as MIO or such other branded water flavorings. Can get at most grocery stores. They do not leak and have to squeeze the bottle to get any oil out. They are the perfect oil container in my opinion.

Traillium
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Traillium » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:04 pm

I'm trying coconut oil, which is hard up to 25–30°C (75°F and more). That makes it very attractive compared to EVOO, which can be very messy …
I carry 250mL Nalgene bottles, 1 per week, or about 250 Calories per day. Nalgene is heavy but secure. Worth it!

Bruce Traillium

losthanger
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by losthanger » Thu May 05, 2016 3:56 pm

I like olive oil. I order a bunch of packets from minimus.biz. pack it in the cook bag with my meal. the packets are 3/8 of an ounce and they've got .5 ounce coconut oil packs too.
Texas. It's a whole 'nother country.

Character is what you are in the dark

brianb2
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY Double Layer
Tarp: DIY Asym or Winter
Suspension: Mule Tape and Becket
Insulation: DIY Integrated UQ

Post by brianb2 » Thu May 05, 2016 8:18 pm

Olive or coconut oil. Both work well. I also started using my extra oil for fire starting by dripping a little on some TP via the suggestion from Sgt Rock.
Family motto - we may joke, but we don't judge.
Trail Name = Beans

Return to “Cookware, Recipes, and Waterware (is that a word?)”