UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Steam Baking

Post by UncleMJM » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:35 pm

When cooking on the wood burner, sometimes it's nice to do more than boil water for freezer bag cooking.

By filling my pot about 2/3 with water and inverting the "fry pan" lid, I make a double boiler. The lid serves as the baking pan and the boiling water in the pot serves as a non scorching heat source.
steambake 1.jpg
steambake 3.jpg
steambake 4.jpg
steambake 5.jpg
steambake 6.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Baby Huey
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Steam Baking

Post by Baby Huey » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:52 pm

I have only tried dry baking. I will have to give this a try. I will try to follow your directions. Lol.
"Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place."
-Capt. Malcolm Reynolds-

V_Allen
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by V_Allen » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:50 pm

I've been doing this for a few years to make Chinese rolls in the field. The double boiler is very versatile and no worries about burning everything. Just about any pot can be made into a double boiler. I use strips of titanium formed into a circle and rest a plate on top inside the pot. Any type of bread in the field is a treat!
V_Allens Bridges For Bigger People v_allen@mail.com

DuxDawg
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by DuxDawg » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:11 am

Been steam baking in a Zebra pot for many years. The crust with dry baking is really nice but you need to be much more attentive. I can throw bannock or other biscuits in the insert pan and leave the pot on a bed of coals while I attend to other things without worrying when wet baking. Everything cooks but nothing burns, the coals go out yet things stay warm for a while after that. Good tool to have in the arsenal IMHO.
"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!" Philippians 4:4 NASB
"The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you." Philippians 4:9 NASB

HammockMama
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by HammockMama » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:10 pm

FWIW, about 15 years ago I was fiddling around with this type of idea, going for as light as I could manage. I have an assortment of pans, but seem to keep going back to a 12 fl oz aluminum can (Goya Vienna sausage) with Esbit or alcohol for the heat source for most backpacking trips. I found that I could steam-bake a muffin in that tiny pot by placing a disposable foil muffin/cupcake liner onto a coiled narrow piece of soda can wall and adding few tablespoons of water to the bottom of the pot. Dump the dry mix into the foil liner to about 2/3-3/4 full while the cupcake liner it is already sitting in the prepared pot, add water, starting with 2 Tbs and adding enough for a fairly stiff batter. Water will not be cooking out of the batter much, so it doesn't have to be too wet. Fire up about 2 Tbs alcohol and wait. This takes enough fuel that I usually don't bother steam baking for short trips or ones resupply every few days. If you want a light weight set up, this is hard to beat. A bowl of rehydrated home made chili, cheddar cheese, and a corn muffin is a wonderful fall trail supper!

Return to “Cookware, Recipes, and Waterware (is that a word?)”