Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

ThruEat - fancy recipes and info

Post by Mophead » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:37 pm

Just found a new website: http://www.thrueat.com/

They've got about 30 pretty fancy backpacking recipes. Some stuff sounds like typical trail recipes, some down-right gourmet like "Creamy basil chipotle penne" "Pina colada cream of wheat" "Lemon gnocci with spinach and peas", plus some cool sounding burritos. Plenty of cool ideas to incorporate even if you don't cook their recipes exactly. They also have a growing list of food items with dry times, temps, and before/after weights. The site is ad free and they dont appear to be selling anything. Looks like they're making money through affiliate links.

johnspenn
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY TCF
Tarp: KNT12
Suspension: Whoopie/MSH
Insulation: MAMW/UGQ 20*

Re: ThruEat - fancy recipes and info

Post by johnspenn » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:22 pm

This could change, but so far during my time outdoors the most i want to do is boil some water to rehydrate my food. I have made and dehydrated some tasty stuff at home to rehydrate and eat on the trail, but I just can't see myself out in the wilds trying to cook some complicated meal. YMMV and HYOH and all that.

Also, I haven't car camped much but i can see the appeal to maybe trying something more adventurous with that kind of setup. But man, toasting hot dogs over a camp fire is so good, I haven't gotten tired of that yet =)

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:02 am

I haven't looked at every recipe, but most their prep at camp I've seen so far is just cover the meal with 1/2 inch water and boil. One I saw required simmering.

johnspenn
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY TCF
Tarp: KNT12
Suspension: Whoopie/MSH
Insulation: MAMW/UGQ 20*

Post by johnspenn » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:55 am

Mophead wrote:I haven't looked at every recipe, but most their prep at camp I've seen so far is just cover the meal with 1/2 inch water and boil. One I saw required simmering.
I haven't looked at them yet. They may be "prepare at home and rehydrate on the trail" recipes, which would be fine. That was just my initial reaction. I just know that at this point in my backpacking career simpler is better out on the trail. HYOH always applies in this area of course.

G_Man
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by G_Man » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Looks like some good grub, without a whole lot of fuss for what you end up with. At least the recipes that interested me didn't sound too difficult to make. Should be a welcome change to the usual chow. Thanks for the link Mophead!! Winter time with an Whisperlite stove should make the more involved recipes easier, though I plan to try some out with my minibull stoves in warmer weather too.

Here's another site with a bunch of recipes http://www.trailcooking.com/recipe-home/
We've made quite a few of these meals and have yet to be dissapointed.
Keep your booger hook off the boom switch until you're ready to fire!!

Return to “Cookware, Recipes, and Waterware (is that a word?)”