sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

VIDEO TRAIL RECIPE: Chili Mac

Post by sarge » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:56 am

What do you do when things start going a little bit south? Make some trail food and go camping, that's what you do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnmAuTl9cMY

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Re: VIDEO TRAIL RECIPE: Chili Mac

Post by UncleMJM » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:18 pm

Keep plugging away buddy. I know plenty of folks who hear me speak who would be thankful for 15 minutes of dead air.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:56 am

UncleMJM wrote:Keep plugging away buddy. I know plenty of folks who hear me speak who would be thankful for 15 minutes of dead air.
Irs a shame, too, as the soundless video was a biscuits and gravy recipe and I mention that it was your biscuits and gravy that gave me the inspiration for making them.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:28 am

sarge wrote:
UncleMJM wrote:Keep plugging away buddy. I know plenty of folks who hear me speak who would be thankful for 15 minutes of dead air.
Irs a shame, too, as the soundless video was a biscuits and gravy recipe and I mention that it was your biscuits and gravy that gave me the inspiration for making them.
Tragic :o

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:43 am

Aside from my comments diverting the conversation from your recipe…

… this one looks like a keeper. Well done amigo.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:03 am

UncleMJM wrote:Aside from my comments diverting the conversation from your recipe…

… this one looks like a keeper. Well done amigo.
Yah. My heart soared like an eagle when I found these with the small cheese packets. I was just about to do one with the "add milk and butter to powdered cheese" stuff that we all remember surviving on in college before ramen became popular, using some butter buds from Dutch and some Nido for the milk.

The Velveeta people may have rescued me from a fate worse than Brussels Sprouts
My You Tube Channel

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:21 am

Can't wait for the trip video. My search continues for a good, uncomplicated biscuits n gravy recipe.

Will the velveeta bowls rehydrate with FBC? I have tried other brands and didn't have any luck.

UncleMJM
Reactions:

Post by UncleMJM » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:01 am

sarge wrote:The Velveeta people may have rescued me from a fate worse than Brussels Sprouts
Agreed on Velveeta. Not sold on your Brussels Sprouts comparison. Done right, they are all kinds of good. Maybe you're not using enough bacon.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:07 pm

Mophead wrote:Can't wait for the trip video. My search continues for a good, uncomplicated biscuits n gravy recipe.

Will the velveeta bowls rehydrate with FBC? I have tried other brands and didn't have any luck.
I had good luck with the one I did preparatory to the video. I believe that whatever that white powder is does the job of keeping it from turning to mush.

As to the biscuits and gravy: The gravy is basically the same as I used in the Beef Stroganoff recipe, but without any bouillon added. The biscuits are some I found in the Kroger bakery department (although the do not hold a candle to Uncle Mike's dutch oven biscuits), but you could just bake some of your own. I doubt that putting them in the pack will do much damage, I generally moosh my biscuits anyway.
My You Tube Channel

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:07 pm

UncleMJM wrote:
sarge wrote:The Velveeta people may have rescued me from a fate worse than Brussels Sprouts
Agreed on Velveeta. Not sold on your Brussels Sprouts comparison. Done right, they are all kinds of good. Maybe you're not using enough bacon.

Those look icky.

But I do see bacon--------
My You Tube Channel

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:17 am

sarge wrote:
I had good luck with the one I did preparatory to the video. I believe that whatever that white powder is does the job of keeping it from turning to mush.

As to the biscuits and gravy: The gravy is basically the same as I used in the Beef Stroganoff recipe, but without any bouillon added. The biscuits are some I found in the Kroger bakery department (although the do not hold a candle to Uncle Mike's dutch oven biscuits), but you could just bake some of your own. I doubt that putting them in the pack will do much damage, I generally moosh my biscuits anyway.
Actually, after I typed that and thought really hard... I don't know for certain that I actually ever tried them in a bag maybe just the bowl. That might have been my problem. The white powder is starch that's supposed to keep it from boiling over in the microwave. When you boil it it kind of turns the water into "snot". Ive been cooking it in my pot so I dump it out.

Pre-made is probably the way to go for biscuits. It would be a good recipe to incorporate dutch's sausage, too.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:39 am

Yep. I used one package of Dutch's sausage with one pack of the gravy mix, then divided into two meals. The Kroger biscuits came in packs of 4, so I've got two biscuits per meal, and will carry a plastic bowl from a frozen dinner to eat out of. I'll have one meal for sjupper next weekend when I go out, and the other will be a winter breakfast.

Life is good.
My You Tube Channel

Return to “Cookware, Recipes, and Waterware (is that a word?)”