Idaho Hanger
Reactions:
Hammock: P43 Terrawing
Tarp: P43 Lodgefly
Suspension: Whoopies
Insulation: P43 Down Quilts

Re: Footwear - What do you use?

Post by Idaho Hanger » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:13 pm

I'm in the minority here..... Asolo Neutron GTX. Relatively light for boots, surprisingly breathable, add a good pair of socks and my feet are always dry. They fit me very well and although they took a while to break in they have been (knock on wood) blister free and comfortable.

I had a coupon at Sierra Trading Post and paid such a low price I bought another pair after I broke in the first set and decided I liked them. Prior to this I wore Keen Targhee mids and a pair of Keen Oregon something or others. The Targhees were actually what I was looking for when I found the Asolos. Those were a good trail shoe too.

“Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.” - Edward Abbey.

Foresight
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Foresight » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:22 am

Making up my mind about the Targhee's right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idaho Hanger
Reactions:
Hammock: P43 Terrawing
Tarp: P43 Lodgefly
Suspension: Whoopies
Insulation: P43 Down Quilts

Post by Idaho Hanger » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:10 am

I loved mine. They hold up well, comfortable and they didn't really require break in.
“Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.” - Edward Abbey.

WickedKlown2
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by WickedKlown2 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:15 pm

My Hikers line up :

Vasque - 1970's Original Mountaineering (previously owned by my Dad - 1970 - Present)
Vasque - Skywalks (retired 1990-2002)
Vasque - Zephyr GTX (semi-retired 2002-Present)
Scarpa - ZG65 GTX (2008-Present)

As you can tell I am a big fan of Vasque Boots and have yet to wear out my 1970 Originals that my Dad gave me (Sno-Sealed every year). I wanted to try something a little different and gave the Scarpa's a try seeing how my rock climbing shoes are Scarpa's. I wore the Vasque Zephyr's in both Afgan and Iraq as part of my field kit and they held up great and I still wear them from time to time.

Pictures when I get home this evening
Dave aka WK2
Asst-Cubmaster of Pack 640 - Smyna, TN
Eagle Scout 1992 - Troop 86 Brentwood, TN
Tread Lightly and Leave No Trace :)

Foresight
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Foresight » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:12 pm

Idaho Hanger wrote:I loved mine. They hold up well, comfortable and they didn't really require break in.
Seem quite durable so far, are really comfortable and I can already tell they won't require a break-in.... But, these thing are HOT. I ain't liking that so far. Now I have to rearrange my sock drawer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WickedKlown2
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by WickedKlown2 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:35 pm

Sorry for the delay in Pictures

Old picture (circa 1991) of myself and my friend Mike hiking at Savage Gulf in TN wearing our Vasque Skywalks

Picture of my old Vasque mountianeering boot with old Council Hudson Bay Pack Ax and Modified Cold Steel Pipe Hawk in the background

Picture of my Vasque Zephyr GTX while slinging some Arrows with my Son

Picture of my Scarpa ZG65 GTX at an Eagle Court of Honor that my Son and I attended as Past and Future Eagles (I am wearing my Eagle Knot and OA Sash).

I will try and get some better pictures of all the boots together in the near future.
Dave aka WK2
Asst-Cubmaster of Pack 640 - Smyna, TN
Eagle Scout 1992 - Troop 86 Brentwood, TN
Tread Lightly and Leave No Trace :)

BlackJack
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by BlackJack » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:40 pm

Has anyone purchased the latest model of the Vasque Sundowner GTX? I am reading that they have possibly gone back to the mid to late 90's fit and style. Still not made in Italy but.... These were my favorite and most comfortable boots years ago. I wore 3 pair out but my fourth pair I would not have given to a stranger (after they changed). I have been using Salomon Speedcross 3 and want to switch back to a boot.http://www.amazon.com/Vasque-Mens-Sundo ... vasque+gtx

bobbycobbler
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by bobbycobbler » Sat May 14, 2016 5:50 am

New Balance Leadville Trail runners for me. Nice big toe box and Vibram soles. Light on the feet and stick to the trail like glue

GoatHanger
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by GoatHanger » Sun May 15, 2016 7:58 am

Like the OP, I have Salomon speedcross 3's. They are 9.5, but I think I need 10. The toe box is really tight, and since I have scar tissue on the top of my pinky and adjacent toes on my left foot (which happens to be the larger of my two feet), so I sometimes get blisters if I do over 10 miles a day in those. The grip on the trail is amazing though. Those things stick to everything! They are very, very comfortable apart from being tight in the toe area. Looking at La Sportiva for my next pair of trail runners.

Just picked up a pair of AHE's ultralite gaiters to keep the crud out of these, but haven't had a chance to use them yet. Hopefully next week. They pack up small!

Here are the gaiters...
This is my signature.

Return to “Clothing”