ADVStrom14
Reactions:
Hammock: HH Backpackr Classic
Tarp: HH Hex 30D
Suspension: Webbing, Dutch Bling
Insulation: Costco, fleece, HHSS

Sock Liner Suggestion

Post by ADVStrom14 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:50 pm

I have never really been hiking for long distances and never for consecutive days and have therefore not really spent a lot of brain energy on my feet. But I have noticed lately, even in every day life, the structure of my feet are changing and I am beginning to get hotspots in places I have never had issues before. I have recently decided to give this counterintuitive idea of wearing wool socks in the summer time to keep my feet cool and dry a try and it worked! But I got a screaming blister on the back of my heal when I hiked about 2 miles the other day. I have been trying to do some research on sock liners and all that jazz and have read good things about silk liners underneath merino wool socks. Anyone who knows about liners and double layering socks, etc., please give me the down and dirty on it and make some product recommendations for a noob on a relative budget. Thanks in advance!

I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. -E. B. White

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Sock Liner Suggestion

Post by sarge » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:18 pm

Some folks will scream blody murder when I say this, but---

I've never worn anything but white cotton socks. The only times I've raised blisters was in the Army when they made me wear those stupic green ones, some merino wool socks I wore last April, and some "hiking socks" I bought from Bass Pro shops this spring on a trip to Niederhoffer Lake in May of this year.

Its not something I'd recommend, but for some reason, that's what works for me.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:16 pm

Best sock liners are the Injinji toe sock liners. I wear them under my darn tough socks and never get blisters.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

brianb2
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY Double Layer
Tarp: DIY Asym or Winter
Suspension: Mule Tape and Becket
Insulation: DIY Integrated UQ

Post by brianb2 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:31 pm

Shoe insoles make a difference as well. I've done a hand full of 20 mile days this year and I've noticed a big difference after adding an insole to my shoes. I don't know enough about the different brands to offer any solid advice on the best one to buy. I've bought three different ones, the cheapest being the Walmart sport insert and it worked for me.

Think of the shoe tread being like your tire and the shoe cushion like your suspension. An insole is like adding a lift kit. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Family motto - we may joke, but we don't judge.
Trail Name = Beans

ADVStrom14
Reactions:

Post by ADVStrom14 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:49 am

brianb2 wrote:
Think of the shoe tread being like your tire and the shoe cushion like your suspension. An insole is like adding a lift kit. :)
Never thought of it like that! Lol

I need some moisture wicking too so may try both a liner and an insole.
I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. -E. B. White

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Sock Liner Suggestion

Post by Mophead » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:58 am

Another cheap tip: wrap a water bottle or hiking pole or something else with some duct tape. Whenever you feel a hot spot or something start to rub take a break and put some tape over that spot.

It's most helpful if you do it before it's a blister but even then it helps.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:48 am

An old Infantryman's trick is to wear nylon hose under the sock. I've never done it, but I;ve know a lot of grunts who swear by it.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

ADVStrom14
Reactions:

Post by ADVStrom14 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:36 am

Mophead wrote:Another cheap tip: wrap a water bottle or hiking pole or something else with some duct tape. Whenever you feel a hot spot or something start to rub take a break and put some tape over that spot.

Yes! I had this thought after watching a documentary this weekend where the guy put duct tape on his heel at the start of the trip to prevent the blisters. Genius!

ADVStrom14
Reactions:

Post by ADVStrom14 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:37 am

sarge wrote:An old Infantryman's trick is to wear nylon hose under the sock. I've never done it, but I;ve know a lot of grunts who swear by it.
So right! After I got the blister the first day of hiking in the woods, I cut a pair of nylon hose that I had at home and put them on under my socks the next day. I did notice a difference.

hikehunter
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by hikehunter » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:59 pm

I wear wool socks all year around. I wear heavy work boots daily. I have used all methods talked about above. I have been using Darn Tough socks for the last 4 years. I do not use liners anymore when hiking. I do carry them most times if I need them. I use the old school leather hiking boot in winter and trail runners in summer. All the above info is very good just explore to see what works best for you. Good luck.
There are wonders out there...now to go find them HFHS (Have Fun & Hike Safe)

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Post by BillyBob66 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:29 pm

hikehunter wrote:I wear wool socks all year around. I wear heavy work boots daily. I have used all methods talked about above. I have been using Darn Tough socks for the last 4 years. I do not use liners anymore when hiking. I do carry them most times if I need them. I use the old school leather hiking boot in winter and trail runners in summer. All the above info is very good just explore to see what works best for you. Good luck.
Also, If you use the duct tape with discipline, I don't think you will have any more blister issues. Just get it over the spot at the very first hint that something is rubbing you wrong. Or, in fact, if you have a area that has blistered in the past- a known trouble spot- it might be a good idea to go ahead and tape it before it has a chance to blister.
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:03 pm

ADVStrom14 wrote:
Mophead wrote:Another cheap tip: wrap a water bottle or hiking pole or something else with some duct tape. Whenever you feel a hot spot or something start to rub take a break and put some tape over that spot.

Yes! I had this thought after watching a documentary this weekend where the guy put duct tape on his heel at the start of the trip to prevent the blisters. Genius!
It works for me. Especially well on the heel. Just make the top of the tape go a little past your shoe opening so that your shoe doesn't peel it off in your sock. And always press it on hard and hold it for a several seconds to get it stuck on well.

southernfire97
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by southernfire97 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:51 pm

I wear Smartwool silk liners. I've tried the toe liners and they didn't work for me. Darn tough's on top.

HammockMom
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by HammockMom » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:09 pm

I have had good luck with Wright Socks. They are double socks, solving the "shearing" issue from the get go.

ADVStrom14
Reactions:

Post by ADVStrom14 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:37 pm

HammockMom wrote:I have had good luck with Wright Socks. They are double socks, solving the "shearing" issue from the get go.
Hey they look cool, I'm going to check those out! I got some of the injinji toe socks and wear them under my darn tough's. They seem to be OK right now but I will have a chance to do some better research on it in a week or so when I get back from IN. Thanks for the info.

Return to “Clothing”