MDSH
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Suggestions

Post by MDSH » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:46 pm

May I suggest that we have a category for feedback and suggestions?

What about one for UL (ultra-light) and another for car camping?

What about preparedness and survival?

Also ...

Do we need to take up a collection to push this site on the internet?

Mike

He said to them, “But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36 ESV)

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Re: Suggestions

Post by Scuba » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:25 pm

While I would like us to be as big one day as other sites are now, I would rather grow at a regular pace and tyr to keep a sense of community for as long as possible. Considering the site has only officially been up for a few day and has 90 members, I am satisfied with our rate of growth. Word of mouth is the best way to spread the news about us , stressing we are an alternative to other sites.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Post by UncleMJM » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:57 pm

Scuba wrote:While I would like us to be as big one day as other sites are now, I would rather grow at a regular pace and tyr to keep a sense of community for as long as possible. Considering the site has only officially been up for a few day and has 90 members, I am satisfied with our rate of growth. Word of mouth is the best way to spread the news about us , stressing we are an alternative to other sites.
+1

Bigger does not necessarily mean better. By all means, growth is a sign of health and should be embraced, but not just sought after for the sake of growth. Now that's not the case with a commercial endeavor, but that's not what this is.

I do like the suggestions of a place for suggestions. I also like the topics of UL, car camping, prepping, and survival. As far as opening sub forums for those, that might be a good idea.

My initial thought, (and this is just one person's opinion), is to discourage opening too many sub forums and just see where conversations go and grow. When a topic gains in popularity then maybe a sub forum would make sense

MDSH
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by MDSH » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:15 pm

Don't see growth and sense of community as opposites.

Felt part of a large community at the other site until management pursued his atheistic agenda.

Why quash any good thing?

Is hammock camping in all its forms good?

If so then why not invite as many as possible?

Many communities of interest contribute to the overall value of an organization, big tent-style.

And if people voluntarily donate to make that possible I don't see the problem.

Really don't want to be part of another irrational group.
Mike

He said to them, “But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36 ESV)

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Scuba » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:16 pm

Inviting as many as possible is something I wholeheartedly agree with and encourage. At this point in time (forum "live" for less than 4 days) i am not set up for, nor do I want to take donations. Yet. As we grow, we will probably open the donation door, for server upgrades, and whatnot.

The other forum that some people are coming here to avoid has become about money and I will pull the plug on this board rather than worship the almighty dollar.We have plans and we are implementing them, at a measured pace. We will add more vendors, but we dont just add vendors and hope they show up. We talk to them and offer them a place to interact with their customers without having to pay for it. More vendors will be added, and hopefully some Bigger names in the hammock community will join us here.

From the outside it might appear that we are irrational but there are forums only admins can see and we discuss everything we do and have plans for the steps we fell we need to take going forward.I have personal relationships with the other admins and would trust them with my life, so trusting their opinions on the direction we grow is easy.

Please, continue to post suggestions. Without input from you guys, we will whither on the vine. There already was a suggestions forum, It was "to whom it may concern". Originally, before I broke the board multiple times, all the forums had descriptions of what they were set up to handle. I am slowly adding in descriptions as I can, but I work a 10 hour day at the office everyday then spend another 2-4 hours at hiome going over patient notes for the next days patients. It will happen, just bear with me please.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.

WonderMonkey
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by WonderMonkey » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:30 pm

If I remember correctly the board is owned by a company that owns a fair amount of boards. It is used to generate revenue and is why it exists. I don't know if it started out that way but that is how it is now. I may be wrong about that but for some reason I think I'm right.

MDSH
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by MDSH » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:32 pm

I'm not from the "outside," Scuba.

The suggestions were made in order to improve the site based on previous experience. I understand your time constraints and appreciate all your efforts.
Mike

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Scuba » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:45 pm

When i say outside, I mean people who are not one of the 4 admins.

Return to “To whom it may concern...”