bodhran4me
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post a pic from my computer ?

Post by bodhran4me » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:13 am

Can I post /download a pic from my computer and if so how?

If not what site should I use?

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Post a pic from my computer ?

Post by sarge » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:41 am

I use Photobucket, but most any photo sharing site will work.

There are reasons we ask folks to post to picture sharing sites:

1. You retain and protect your Copyright by doing so.

2. We want everybody to be able to see your pictures. We don't use them as a lure to our site by requiring you to load them to our gallery, then requiring people to become members to see them. We figure that you want to post your pictures for your own purposes and we respect that by not using them for our own.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

bodhran4me
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by bodhran4me » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:29 pm

Thanks Sarge. I haven't ever used a photo site aside from Flickr and had always just uploaded to the site. Just posted in the watercraft subforum and I think I got 'er!

For those using Photobucket , on the right hand side under the 'Share This Photo' heading there is a box labelled 'IMG'. Just click the 'IMG' box and a notification comes up 'copying'. Then simply go to where you are typing your post here on the forum , right click where you want your photo to appear and all the formatting is done. Heck even I can do it! Joining Photobucket took less than a minute.

TXyakr
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by TXyakr » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:44 am

I have used Photobucket for many years and been satisfied with its "free" level of service but recently many of the photos I uploaded there appear to no longer be available and I am not even close to the storage limit. (28.8% or 575MB of 2GB limit, 175 photos) Does anyone know what the issue with Photobucket is or if there's another one that works more reliably?

Typically I upload from my smartphone or waterproof camera's memory card and then post links to photos on this and some other forums but in recent months this has become very frustrating. I also use a few other online storage sites but Photobucket for a long time was the simplest and fastest site to use, despite the occasional software glitch.

Google Drive and iCloud from Apple are more reliable, but as far as I can tell don't allow links to be posted on any other sites such as this forum. Dropbox dropped my limit after 2 years and it doesn't share as well either. I'm very cheap (a curse of being raised by low income missionaries overseas perhaps) and not inclined to pay for something that is unreliable.

Idaho Hanger
Reactions:
Hammock: P43 Terrawing
Tarp: P43 Lodgefly
Suspension: Whoopies
Insulation: P43 Down Quilts

Post by Idaho Hanger » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:26 am

I understand the copyright and issue with non members not being able to see photos, but requiring an external hosting site makes for a lot of extra steps and unless people are pretty savvy with how they set them up it can allow access to a lot more photos than intended. I just clicked on a photo this morning and it was 1 of 189 photos I then had access to view through photobucket. I personally would prefer to be able to upload the photos I choose directly to the forum so I don't have to worry I all my privacy settings are correct, I can save time and I don't have to worry about allowing the entire Internet access to photos I didn't mean to. It also makes it a lot tougher on mobile users (I primarily use an iPad) to upload photos.

This is just my 2 cents on uploading photos, which is honestly the ONLY complaint I have with this forum. You're doing a great job.
“Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.” - Edward Abbey.

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:28 pm

an option in place of photobucket is facebook. Upload to Fb and then just link the picture here.

On the serious side, if i hosted every picture that everyone wanted to post here, it would be VERY cost prohibitive. I don't want to charge for "special memberships" or try to solicit funds to keep the site running. My outlay for the server i am sing is about $300 for a 2 yr period and has some features available I haven't started using yet (blogs, email addresses..etc). With the new Facebook page it is easy to upload pictures there and then link them here. If you have a google account you can also host there using Google Photos.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Scuba » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:31 pm

here is a pic from Hurricane Cove on the LSHT linked from Google Photos.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM ... IK--6H2h96
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.

Idaho Hanger
Reactions:
Hammock: P43 Terrawing
Tarp: P43 Lodgefly
Suspension: Whoopies
Insulation: P43 Down Quilts

Post by Idaho Hanger » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:50 am

Scuba wrote:On the serious side, if i hosted every picture that everyone wanted to post here, it would be VERY cost prohibitive. I don't want to charge for "special memberships" or try to solicit funds to keep the site running.
That's a pretty good reason. Thanks. I'll get set up on the Facebook page and give that method a try.
“Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.” - Edward Abbey.

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Post by BillyBob66 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:36 am

TXyakr wrote:I have used Photobucket for many years and been satisfied with its "free" level of service but recently many of the photos I uploaded there appear to no longer be available and I am not even close to the storage limit. (28.8% or 575MB of 2GB limit, 175 photos) Does anyone know what the issue with Photobucket is or if there's another one that works more reliably?

Typically I upload from my smartphone or waterproof camera's memory card and then post links to photos on this and some other forums but in recent months this has become very frustrating. I also use a few other online storage sites but Photobucket for a long time was the simplest and fastest site to use, despite the occasional software glitch.

Google Drive and iCloud from Apple are more reliable, but as far as I can tell don't allow links to be posted on any other sites such as this forum. Dropbox dropped my limit after 2 years and it doesn't share as well either. I'm very cheap (a curse of being raised by low income missionaries overseas perhaps) and not inclined to pay for something that is unreliable.
I only just recently started with Photobucket, and posted maybe 3 photos and a very short video there and got them linked on here, this all worked fine. But I immediately saw a notice that I had already used about 10% of my storage limit. So that won't be working for me much longer I guess, unless I can figure out a way around that.
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

TXyakr
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by TXyakr » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:33 am

BillyBob66 wrote:
I only just recently started with Photobucket, and posted maybe 3 photos and a very short video there and got them linked on here, this all worked fine. But I immediately saw a notice that I had already used about 10% of my storage limit. So that won't be working for me much longer I guess, unless I can figure out a way around that.
How many GBytes of memory did they give you? Perhaps that video was high resolution, how many Bytes was it? I never upload videos because they typically take far more memory then photos.

I checked my limits at Settings > Account

Currently I'm only using 623 MB or 6.24% of 10 GByte storage they gave me for free, that is 181 photos no video and most photos I reduce the resolution because most people don't view in full resolution or need to, this can save a lot of storage space i.e. GBs.

YouTube is cheaper for video, but then it is very public.

My issue is that I have 8 Albums and it seems that I cannot find photos that have been there for a long time, i.e. months or years. Perhaps they delete these and/or automatically increase your storage space? I don't know it just doesn't all make sense to me. Many of these share server sites had larger limits for free years ago (10 years?) and now limit them to much smaller, perhaps in an attempt to get people to buy more. I don't really know. Just today I paid $9.99 per year to go ad free because the pop-up ad after I upload every photo was wasting my time. BTW I use several other online servers to save (backup) most of my photos and videos etc. then transfer over to Photobucket if I want to share them. Dropbox decreased my storage space after the first 2 years and this wasted my time transferring over to another storage site that was more generous so I don't use Dropbox anymore. Google Drive works better for me, but only shares well/easily with Google owned apps. Also you can sign up for more than one Gmail account and get more space there for free. I have one account I only use if spam mail is a concern from who I give it to, because one of my other provider's email accounts became over run with spam, it is almost useless now. Managing all this is like tending a large garden with tons of weeds sprouting up everywhere, pain in the backside.

Good luck, TXyakr

BillyBob66
Reactions:

Post by BillyBob66 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:30 pm

Thx, Txyakr, I went to settings/account and I see I there is 2 GB available for free accounts. With 3 photos and a 1 minute video taking up a total of 164 MB, I have used up 8.64% of the total available. I will down size the photos and that should help, but it is obvious I won't be storing much her unless I pay them some money.

Anyone know what size I can go down to and still get reasonable photos to show up here?

Bill
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:13 pm

I'd take the video out. I've been using PB for six years and am only just now getting to 80% of allotted space. I've got literally hundreds of pics uploaded there.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Scuba » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:55 pm

800x600 I'd a good size for most forums

BillyBob66
Reactions:

Post by BillyBob66 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:33 pm

Thx!............

BillyBob66
Reactions:

Post by BillyBob66 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:48 pm

I deleted the video, leaving only my 3 photos, and now I show that I am 1% full. So looks like I could have about 300 photos of these size. However, I don't remember down sizing these photos, so straight off the iPhone they are probably pretty large. So with downsizing I could probably get all the photos I am likely to take on there. If they don't start removing them as they apparently have done with TxYakr.

Return to “To whom it may concern...”