sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Hammock Giveaway

Post by sarge » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:20 pm

hanggirl wrote:Sarge, I absolutely love every word you just wrote. It's the way things SHOULD be and I'm glad to be here. I also am hoping to be the winner of that hammock, especially as I think it's the one you let me borrow for my very first hang and I was so impressed with it. Thanks for all you do and for your generous heart. Sooz
Thanks, Sooz, and to everybody else as well.

But let it be known that those words are not exclusively mine, they truly do reflect a Statement of Principals for this site, and a represents a deep concensus of opinion about how things like this site should be run: for the good of others and only for the good of others.

This is a team effort, and many more thanks are due to Scuba who laid out the cash for this place and is working all the technical stuff---all while working in a clinic for the working poor, taking four hours of that work home at night, raising kids, and putting up with occasional rants from former military personnel not himself. I might be the most visible at this point, but that's only because of the videos and the fact that I have a job that allows me time during the day to check what's going on with the site and Social Media. Pat the backs of Uncle Mike and Baby Huey, too. They are the calming influences that keeps the rants reasonable and guide the Spirit of what we're trying to accomplish here.

More than that, though, are the contributions made by members. This place really goes nowhere without the questions asked by the Noobs, the answers given by the Old Timers, the wise cracks from the smart alecks (Hi Zort!), the opinions and the differences of opinions, the bragging about new stuff, the crying about buys gone bad, the gear lust, trip reports, gear reviews, and a thousand other subjects we haven't even thought of. We really want this place to reflect the "Campfire Fellowship" Uncle Mike talks about. I've never turned anybody away from a campfire, and have never been turned away from one. That's the spirit we encounter when we go out on The Trail, and its the Spirit we want to keep alive here. We want to help other people, and the most valuable asset we have towards that end are the folks who post here. We can provide some guidance for propriety to keep it a Family Oriented affair and a little bit of content, but the real gold is in the mind and flows from the fingertips of the person reading this right now.

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

gfstanley
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by gfstanley » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:34 pm

Thanks Sarge for this opportunity. I like your video on the Costco TQ and am looking forward to your video for the UQ. I have recently purchased a couple of them myself and am working on the UQ and may try a TQ in the future.

Agent23
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Agent23 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:22 pm

gfstanley wrote:Thanks Sarge for this opportunity. I like your video on the Costco TQ and am looking forward to your video for the UQ. I have recently purchased a couple of them myself and am working on the UQ and may try a TQ in the future.
+1!

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:37 pm

Thanks for watching, guys. Glad to help out.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

onfire
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by onfire » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:40 pm

Thank you for the invitation to 'hang' ... and the very generous competition! Glad to be here from South Wales, UK :-)

Coolerking
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Coolerking » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:02 am

Well hello there Sarge. Thanks for the invitation to come and check this place out and hang for a while.
I have a cheap hammock that I was given and the first time I took it out...well, let's just say it was the last! I am in the market for a new one but have t even thought about looking at any forums to see what else is available. I have done a bit of research but there's nothing like seeing what other people use and recommend!
Thanks again,
Philip.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:26 pm

Come on in and pull up a spot near the campfire. We can help you with that hammock problem.
My You Tube Channel

DuxDawg
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by DuxDawg » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:03 am

sarge wrote: Thanks, Sooz, and to everybody else as well.

But let it be known that those words are not exclusively mine, they truly do reflect a Statement of Principals for this site, and a represents a deep concensus of opinion about how things like this site should be run: for the good of others and only for the good of others.

This is a team effort, and many more thanks are due to Scuba who laid out the cash for this place and is working all the technical stuff---all while working in a clinic for the working poor, taking four hours of that work home at night, raising kids, and putting up with occasional rants from former military personnel not himself. I might be the most visible at this point, but that's only because of the videos and the fact that I have a job that allows me time during the day to check what's going on with the site and Social Media. Pat the backs of Uncle Mike and Baby Huey, too. They are the calming influences that keeps the rants reasonable and guide the Spirit of what we're trying to accomplish here.

More than that, though, are the contributions made by members. This place really goes nowhere without the questions asked by the Noobs, the answers given by the Old Timers, the wise cracks from the smart alecks (Hi Zort!), the opinions and the differences of opinions, the bragging about new stuff, the crying about buys gone bad, the gear lust, trip reports, gear reviews, and a thousand other subjects we haven't even thought of. We really want this place to reflect the "Campfire Fellowship" Uncle Mike talks about. I've never turned anybody away from a campfire, and have never been turned away from one. That's the spirit we encounter when we go out on The Trail, and its the Spirit we want to keep alive here. We want to help other people, and the most valuable asset we have towards that end are the folks who post here. We can provide some guidance for propriety to keep it a Family Oriented affair and a little bit of content, but the real gold is in the mind and flows from the fingertips of the person reading this right now.
That's beautiful man. If only 3 of 10 people got that and practiced it, we'd turn this Ol' world around.
"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!" Philippians 4:4 NASB
"The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you." Philippians 4:9 NASB

dirtwheels
Reactions:
Hammock: SLD, Sheltowee, Amok
Tarp: UGQ, Spinn Edge
Suspension: HF Straps & Dynema
Insulation: Downy Goodness

Post by dirtwheels » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:03 pm

Thanks Sarge! Look forward to seeing this site develop. I'd love a chance to win the hammock for a friend with crohns.

heisssenberg
Reactions:
Hammock: 90x130 tablecloth
Tarp:
Suspension: whoopie slings
Insulation: UGQ 40 UQ

Post by heisssenberg » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:17 am

I have been following your DIY videos for a while now. I appreciate all you do. We may not see eye to eye politically, but a shared love of camping comfortably is a good start.

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:23 pm

heisssenberg wrote:I have been following your DIY videos for a while now. I appreciate all you do. We may not see eye to eye politically, but a shared love of camping comfortably is a good start.
Thanks for watching and thanks for joining us, welcome to the camp fire.

I do want to repeat here that this is not "my" site, I'm just the most visible member of a Team working towards a goal of a Common Good. I didn't start it, I was asked to join, and asked to act as an Admin. I wouldn't have done either had I not been sure that the entire Team believed the following to be the guiding principles of the site:

1. That every pixel, byte, and electron of this thing be free to anyone who stumbles across it from now until the Internet ends, and that any request for donations be for specific purposes and amounts clearly expressed that ends when that amount is collected and free from any subterfuge designed to disguise a pursuit of personal profit.

2. That all who come here will be treated with equal respect for whatever it is that they believe defines them as a person----whether it be sexual, religious, or political orientation, and that we never put in place rules that intimate that the expression of that identity is so terrible that we can't allow you to put it in your signature for the whole world to see.

3. That the words here belong to the people who express them, they are free to do with them as they please, in perpetuity, and will never be used for the profit of others.

As to politics:

First, the most enjoyable discussions I have ever had have been with people who disagree with me politically and discuss those difference respectfully with the knowledge that, in such things, it is entirely possible for two people to come to a different conclusion using the same information---and that it is in the discussion of those things in that manner that we can come to conclusions as to how to best guide this country.

We have provided a places to discuss politics, religion, guns, and the Military where other sites have made them forbidden topics. We do so as not to create the impression that we are taking sides. While other sites have forbidden these topics because of the friction they say they create, we see the topics themselves as harmless (and useful as mentioned above) and it is bad actors in the discussion that causes any friction.

We further believe that in some instances, this friction is caused intentionally in order to stop discussion of subjects that some politically motivated people might want to see silenced because such discussions bring information to light that hurts their cause. We see that as an effort to get us to take sides, and will try not to fall into that trap as others have in the past. A person believes, for instance, that apple picking is immoral because of the pain it brings to the tree. He or she then goes into a thread where apple pickers are discussing methods of picking apples and begins to create a disturbance by listing all of the reasons apple pickers are immoral and despicable by aiding and abetting tree torture. Where other sites might delete that thread, ban the trouble maker, or ban the discussion of apple picking on the site altogether, we believe that since apple picking is a legal activity and that the discussion in the thread was peaceful before this intervention, so we will create a sub forum that says "Apple Picking Is Immoral and I don't Want People Talking About It" and move all of his posts there. This allows the Anti-Apple Picking people a voice while respecting the right of the apple pickers to discuss their apple picking in peace.

So far, this approach has worked for Politics, Religion, the Military, and Guns and has actually served to limit discussion of those topics. We'll see how things develop in the future.

A shorter version of the above is: We allow you to talk about the same things you would talk about around a campfire where women and children are sitting, and we won't take sides no matter how hard you try to get us to. In fact, if we feel like you're trying to get us to take a side, we'll see you as more of a problem than either of the two sides and act accordingly.
My You Tube Channel

cholla28
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by cholla28 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:08 am

thanks! awesome stuff

dosei
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by dosei » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:14 am

I've always thought of places on the internet as no different than places in general. Some are open to the public, some are private, some are stores, some are places to talk, some are places to play...but all are, one way or another, owned and thus governed by any rules that the owner has put in place. Their "house", their rules. And thus, they can only impose their rules on me if I allow them to (i.e., if I chose to enter their "house", I have then allowed them to impose their rules on me while I am there). They are free to impose rules, I am free to avoid their "house". Those who impose rules that I respect, get my respect (and when possible, my business/help/money)...those who do not, don't.
"Freedom is a system based on courage" Charles Peguy

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by sarge » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:33 pm

OK. Its 1830 CST and the deadline for registration has been reached. Thanks to everybody who participated. The winner will be announced tomorrow.
My You Tube Channel

SGT Rock
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by SGT Rock » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:34 pm

Good luck to you all.
No Sniveling!

Return to “Announcements”