Meet Roxanne!

Do you ride and camp? Talk about your bike, luggage, and gear preferences here.
Flynguy521
Reactions:
Hammock: Dream Hammock Custom
Tarp: UGQ Asym Multicam
Suspension: DIY 1" Webbing
Insulation: UGQ Custom

Meet Roxanne!

Post by Flynguy521 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:45 am

AKA Rox the Ox!

She's a 2013 Kawasaki KLR I recently bought with 1234.5 miles on her. She already had a Happy Trails skid plate and PD Nerf Bars. So far I have added a Harbor Freight Apache (Pelican knock off) case for around town storage.

I plan to take her on many long trips with hammocks involved!

ImageImageImage
Last edited by Flynguy521 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hike, Like, and Subscribe!

https://www.youtube.com/c/AndyMartinezOutdoors

Hammock Trip Map

"I aim to misbehave!" - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Re: Meet Roxanne!

Post by BillyBob66 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:49 pm

I've never been on motorized bikes/cycles since I was a teenager, but I must admit that looks like fun! Biking around to various hang sites sounds like even more fun! Roxanne looks like a fun gal!
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

Biker Bob
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Biker Bob » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:48 pm

I ran into some youngsters from Nova Scotia in North Carolina on BRP last summer. At least one was KLR mounted and having a great trip. My SIL got tired of polishing his Harley at the beach and now rides a KLR. We need to get together a motorcycle hang somewhere this spring.
Now all I need to do is get the old airhead back on the road. I'm using a F650 GS again this weekend. it has a Ural chair attached for something different.
You will get a lot of enjoyment out of it I'm certain.

Bob
Bob

Hangin' on the coast

Flynguy521
Reactions:

Post by Flynguy521 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:18 am

Biker Bob wrote:I ran into some youngsters from Nova Scotia in North Carolina on BRP last summer. At least one was KLR mounted and having a great trip. My SIL got tired of polishing his Harley at the beach and now rides a KLR. We need to get together a motorcycle hang somewhere this spring.
Now all I need to do is get the old airhead back on the road. I'm using a F650 GS again this weekend. it has a Ural chair attached for something different.
You will get a lot of enjoyment out of it I'm certain.

Bob
A motorcycle hang would be a lot of fun! The urals look neat, but I’ve heard the QC on them is horrendous. Once I get this one kitted out I’ll add a triumph to my stable. Not sure which one though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock Trip Map

Flynguy521
Reactions:

Post by Flynguy521 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:52 pm

Here are a couple pics from my first adventures with Roxy.

My first long road trip with her was down to Austin for the McKinney Falls frozen butt hang. It was a long, cold 4 hour ride. I stopped halfway due to a sore bum and frozen hands, finally making it in after dark.

The seat definitely needs upgrading. Even with the padded cover I have for it riding over an hour at a time requires determination and mind over matter mentality.

I rewarded myself with a nice ribeye that first night. It got down pretty low, 22° I believe. Stayed plenty warm with my 20° UGQ quilt set.

Overall she did really well. I did start smelling burning coolant as I entered Austin. I put off dealing with it until the day I packed up and left. The reservoir was leaking from its connection nipple so I tried using a ziptie to tighten the hose around kt until I could get home to take it apart and properly fix it.

It didn't work. Had a significant amount of coolant blow down the right side on the way back, but made it home otherwise unscathed, where I took it apart and fixed correctly.

I also got my radio operator license plate in and mounted.

My most recent trip was down to Houston to the Huey's for a thru-hike of the LSHT. The thru-hike didn't happen, but had a good few days on the trail and nights in the hammock before riding back to Tyler.

Rolled over 2800 miles on the way back, putting the count at a little over 1500 miles since I bought her Thanksgiving weekend. Meaning I've put more miles on her in the last 2 months than she had since purchased new in 2013. Such a fun way to camp.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hammock Trip Map

Return to “Motorcycle Camping”