Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Letter from Lawson re:shipping changes

Post by Scuba » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:09 am

I just wanted to let you know about a few more updates and changes I am making. But first and foremost, thanks for all extra business and support the last few weeks. Its been greatly appreciated and has allowed me to bridge the gap away from wholesale much easier. The change away from wholesale has proven to be a good decision as the lead times have been dramatically reduced. And I have had some time to work on new products which is something I have not been able to do in the recent past. So thanks again.

That said, I was recently asked "Why does it take so long to ship my order, aren't the items instock?" The answer to this question is usually yes. BUT the problem is that we run a very small operation. Its now just me and my wife (she works part time and takes care of the kids full time). So we have 1.5 people making and shipping all the gear. And while I realize I don't have a large variety of products for sale, I always remind people that Red Bull is a one product company. I make this point, because I want to paint the picture that while we might not have a huge selection of products, the products that we do make are very popular and they sell very well. So much so, that we ship ALOT of volume. But over 60% of the orders we ship are under $15. Orders like one $10 hank of cord, or six $2 tent stakes, or 8 $1 bar tensioners are very common. And while I am very thankful for any and all business that I receive, no matter the dollar amount. Small orders take about as long to ship as big orders. So I started tracking our time spent during the day. What I realized is that I spend more time per day shipping orders then I do making gear. This is a problem as I don't charge anything for shipping and the items I make are not extremely profitable to begin with. Given that math doesn't lie, I started calculating all of my costs. Cost to make stuff, and cost to ship stuff. What I found is that I loose money on alot of orders under $25. So I have decided that I am no longer going to be offering Free Shipping with No Minimums in the USA or Canada. While I hate to make the change after offering free shipping on all orders for the last 8 years. I just can't afford it, especially as I add new lower priced products. So effective immediately my shipping policy has changed. My new shipping policy will be as follows. Free Shipping on all orders over $25. Anything less than $25, will have a $3 flat rate shipping charge. This will help to cover some of the shipping costs. Changes like this are not forever, and I will re-evaluate them as time goes on and my business grows. But for right now, I have to make the change. I hope you understand.

In other news. The titanium tent stakes are now fully instock. The loop d loops are still on schedule to ship on 8/28, and the ultraglide bear line has been backordered until 9/4 due to crazy high demand. The Ironwire is becoming very popular with people who like to splice their lines and we are working to re-release a thicker version of our whoopie line for hammock users. Let me know if you have any questions. Otherwise have a great weekend!

Thanks,
Lawson

LawsonEquipment.com
Speaking just for me, I am cool with this. I love the products you provide and I am more than willing to pay the small price of $3 for a small order if that's what it takes to keep you in business and providing us with awesome cordage.

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Letter from Lawson re:shipping changes

Post by sarge » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:42 pm

As a small cottage guy (in another field) who has to make things as they are ordered and can't keep the popular stuff in stock, I know his pain.

And I don't blame him one bit.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Post by UncleMJM » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:47 pm

Yep, Lawson gear is worth paying to have it shipped. I think it's still very reasonable.

Flynguy521
Reactions:
Hammock: Dream Hammock Custom
Tarp: UGQ Asym Multicam
Suspension: DIY 1" Webbing
Insulation: UGQ Custom

Post by Flynguy521 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:19 pm

Don't mind it one bit! I appreciate the fact that you offer the detailed explanation, even though you don't have to.
Hike, Like, and Subscribe!

https://www.youtube.com/c/AndyMartinezOutdoors

Hammock Trip Map

"I aim to misbehave!" - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

Biker Bob
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Biker Bob » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:52 pm

Three dollar shipping is ridiculous. The cheapest flat rate shipping is $6.50 or more., I've never bought from you but will remember the great deal you offer.

Bob
Bob

Hangin' on the coast

Return to “Lawson Equipment”