Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Any Interest in a MYOG Secret Santa?

Post by Mophead » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:23 am

I was thinking since this is a relatively small, friendly site how many would be interested in participating in a DIY MYOG secret santa (aka pollyanna) gift exchange. I was thinking people could exchange home made items with others for fun, to show off their mad skillz, get cool homemade camping stuff, whatever... But there's no reason people couldn't also gift raw materials, or thread injection tools like a rolled hem presser foot, fancy clips, etc.

I was thinking of keeping it cheap, maybe a $20 max limit. I have looked around online and it seems like elfster is the best tool. I can adjust the settings so people's personal info can only be viewed by the one sending them a gift and the coordinator. I would be willing to coordinate. I promise I don't sell insurance or have any other interest in your info and won't give it out. If others have a better suggestion on how to do it I am open. Sneaky santa is also very simple but everyone will be able to at least view emails at the very least.

Most the sites have "wishlists" but part of the fun is guessing what your partner would like based on their posts here, or getting something really unique that your santa is good at making but you would have never asked for. Maybe just use it to post a geargrams, lighterpack, or google sheets of a pack list to help your santa a little?

What do you think?

Flynguy521
Reactions:
Hammock: Dream Hammock Custom
Tarp: UGQ Asym Multicam
Suspension: DIY 1" Webbing
Insulation: UGQ Custom

Re: Any Interest in a MYOG Secret Santa?

Post by Flynguy521 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:10 am

Cool Idea! I tried to get one going a year or two ago with no luck. Here is a link to the post, link to spreadsheet in first post.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=471&p=3920&hilit=tree+swap#p3920
Hike, Like, and Subscribe!

https://www.youtube.com/c/AndyMartinezOutdoors

Hammock Trip Map

"I aim to misbehave!" - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:40 pm

Ah cool! I vaguely remembered something like that post. But I searched for "secret santa" and a couple terms but not tree swap.

I should have posted sooner, especially for something that requires DIY if we want it by Christmas. But if enough people are still down for it I'm game. We could post all our gifts in a thread afterward f its a success, maybe more will join in next year.

Sheldon
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY Bridge
Tarp: Blue crinkly one
Suspension: Rings
Insulation: PLUQ

Post by Sheldon » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:15 pm

Mophead wrote:Ah cool! I vaguely remembered something like that post. But I searched for "secret santa" and a couple terms but not tree swap.

I should have posted sooner, especially for something that requires DIY if we want it by Christmas. But if enough people are still down for it I'm game. We could post all our gifts in a thread afterward f its a success, maybe more will join in next year.
Sounds fun count me in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Post by gmcpcs » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:27 am

I will participate,
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:21 pm

Ok, I created the event in elfster. I
Thinking meeting the deadline for US ground shipping by Christmas is a little close. So names will be drawn next Wednesday and I just made the exchange date after new years. That will give more time for any DIY and hopefully eliminate detracting from any family activities during Christmas.

https://www.elfster.com/exchange/view/29556746/41108f/

You can register at the link and once names are drawn you will only be able to see info for and message your match.

Sound good to everyone? If so I may post another thread in the DIY forum once it's final.

Return to “Hammock General Discussion”