Rick TDBT
Reactions:
Hammock: DH Sparrow
Tarp: UGQ Winter Dream
Suspension: Straps & Caribiners
Insulation: Hg 20 tq-uq

Hammock Stand

Post by Rick TDBT » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:18 pm

Thinking of purchasing one for the house.
https://bestchoiceproducts.com/products ... DiEALw_wcB

Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

pofloyd1
Reactions:
Hammock: Equip,YukonOutfitter
Tarp: Yukon Outfitters
Suspension: Mule tape
Insulation: diy top&under quilt

Re: Hammock Stand

Post by pofloyd1 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:43 pm

I picked up one kind of like that for the wife's bridge net whatever type hammock. So I tried my hammock (10 " gathered end type) on it and ended up about 6" off the floor. Not saying it wont work but I think I remember seeing on you-tube or someplace adding some conduit to the end pieces to one of this type stands to use with a gathered end hammock.

tangara
Reactions:
Hammock: cotton or diy nylon
Tarp: cheap silnylon
Suspension: homemade 1-2"
Insulation: diy uq

Post by tangara » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:39 pm

I got one that looks like it's similar to that. It works for most of my hammocks, but some are pretty close to the floor when loaded. I don't use a ridgeline when I use stands like these. If I do, I rig it to the stand itself, and not the hammock. I also took out the J hook and replaced it with and I bolt and I don't use the chains at all, although they will work. I put a strap to the I boold and use a becket hitch to attach to the hammock loop. You'll find the stand has a lot of flex, and that's the reason I don't use the hammock ridgeline. Oh yeah, the sucker is pretty heavy, too. Mine stays outside on the deck most of the year.

bbikebbs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY 11'
Tarp: Kelty Noah 12'
Suspension:
Insulation: DIY UQ, Costco TQ

Post by bbikebbs » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:59 pm

I've got one of these. I also have issues with being too close to the floor. I took some para cord and ran it from one j hook to the other. Pulled it as tight as I could and tied it off. Now the only flex is when the cord stretches. It does take some fussy adjustments to get my 11' hammock to fit.

Calait
Reactions:
Hammock: ENO DoubleNest Set
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation: closed foam

Post by Calait » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:45 pm

Hopefully, I will be building a set of turtle-dog stands for me to use in the backyard within the next few months, I will be hanging though at home.
Any day in the outdoors is better than a day at work.

NWABYUCOUG
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by NWABYUCOUG » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:40 am

I just built a couple of turtle-dog stands and have them setup in my bonus room. But just bought some hardware to attach to the walls to free up some room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tangara
Reactions:
Hammock: cotton or diy nylon
Tarp: cheap silnylon
Suspension: homemade 1-2"
Insulation: diy uq

Post by tangara » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:45 am

I have a set of 1" emt pipe stands that I made that work well. The advantage to them is you can move them around easily. The disadvantage is figuring out the optimum leg height and top bar length if you have more than one size hammock. My hammocks range from 9 to 11 feet. For a corner joint, I used a 4 pint corner from some tarp place that gives me a decent angle of attack for the legs. It feels like it could be slightly tippy, though, and I don't let kids swing on it. I also had a friend of mine make me another one with a slightly wider angle. He works in a machine shop at a school and has time on his hands. Those corners are just right.

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Post by BillyBob66 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:04 pm

I have used a similar one for many years, and it is better than nothing. I have set some of my all time records for cold weather hanging using one in the back yard. It gets the job done. But there are 2 problems, other than weight and size if transporting to a campground:

1: it flexes significantly, and this must be accounted for to keep high enough off of the floor AND to end up with the correct sag in the hammock. I usually accommodate by using a strong RL and putting a good bit of preflex in it by hanging very tight. This helps somewhat. Mine ha been almost unusable with my long asses WBRR bridge. Since I must max out the stands length, and even then it is not really quite long enough for that rascal, I suppose leverage is increased so that when I get in, it flexes so much that the end feet come off the ground and the center bar hits the ground! :o It felt like it was going to fall over, but never did since if it goes side ways the feet finally hit the ground again. But it is a bad feeling! But, this is the only hammock I have such severe issues with. Actually, I even solved that buy lifting the feet off the ground with bricks, high enough that the center bar could not hit the ground. Still no fun!

2: The center bar has always made me paranoid, so I feel the need to put lots of padding down below. If anything gave out, falling on the center bar would make an ouch situation into a possibly severe injury. This actually happened to a guy at another forum, his tale bone got hurt pretty bad. But over many years it has never even come close to happening to me, I have hit the ground once or twice over 11+ years, and if I had been using this stand it would have been a much worse ouch.

Thus, I really am going to make a turtle just any day now! I have put that off for years!
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Post by BillyBob66 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:05 pm

NWABYUCOUG wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:40 am
I just built a couple of turtle-dog stands and have them setup in my bonus room. But just bought some hardware to attach to the walls to free up some room.

Which plans for building did you use, if not your own? I think there are some how tos on Youtube.
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

NWABYUCOUG
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by NWABYUCOUG » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:51 pm

I first tried the plans that had the tripod meeting at the top and cutting at angles. But that was to unstable for me so just went to the one with hinge about an inch to inch and half from the top.

brianb2
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY Double Layer
Tarp: DIY Asym or Winter
Suspension: Mule Tape and Becket
Insulation: DIY Integrated UQ

Hammock Stand

Post by brianb2 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:00 pm

Check out this design, very slick.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KUXQ5KkiqDM

Here’s my first prototype using (4) 8’ 2x2s and some mule tape. Holds an 11’ hammock. Drilled a hole in the end of each 2x2 to feed the mule tape through. Tethered on the left hand side. Next version I’ll try to make it collapsible so it’s a bit more compact, but it’s very stable and is just cool. Good luck.

Family motto - we may joke, but we don't judge.
Trail Name = Beans

Calait
Reactions:
Hammock: ENO DoubleNest Set
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation: closed foam

Post by Calait » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:02 pm

Looks cool, more details, please.
Any day in the outdoors is better than a day at work.

Return to “Hammock General Discussion”