It's (record)cold up north! Anyone on this site up there hangin?

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

It's (record)cold up north! Anyone on this site up there hangin?

Post by BillyBob66 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:39 pm

I know most folks at the site are Texans, and few other southerners thrown in. But I think a few of us are scattered about. Anyone up north/midwest, MN/PA etc? They are setting quite a few record lows, with for example a -14F in International Falls, MN! Wowza, that is sho nuff cold for early Nov! I guess old Shug is out in that! (Ha! but auto correct changed "Old Shug" to "Old Thug"! LOL!)
https://weather.com/forecast/regional/n ... nter-chill
Off Topic
Old Man Winter is paying a strong visit to the Midwest and Northeast this weekend, bringing the coldest air of the season so far, smashing daily records from the Northern Plains to New England.......................According to the National Weather Service, Saturday morning's record low in Washington D.C. was their first in November since 1976................
Thanks to fresh snow cover, clear skies and light winds, International Falls, Minnesota, plunged to a low of 14 degrees below zero Friday morning. This was the earliest-in-season the "Nation's Icebox" had ever been that cold, beating the previous record from Nov. 12, 1966, when they were 15 degrees below zero......................This is quite an abrupt reality check for the Northeast, parts of which had seen their record-warmest fall-to-date.
Sudden change! Have we got any hangers here that were out in that cold? Coincidentally, I have been out fiddling around with my cold weather systems which I did not put to the test much last winter. (actually, we skipped winter last year) I have been playing around with the old classic HH Super Shelter(HHSS), using the tiny original stock tarp. Big advantage to that one is, even though the tarp is pretty small, wind is really blocked well(and some precipitation also) with the sil-nylon Under cover.

I also have been playing with my bridge hammocks, particularly the JRB Bear Mountain UL, with my JRB MW3 convertible(full length or mid thigh length) under the large JRB 11X10 rectangular tarp. There sure is a lot to be said for that set up. The insulation is so easy to achieve. Rectangular quilt, rectangular hammock, no diagonal lay needed. The curve of the hammock is well matched by the curve of the UQ, so everything is covered with no gaps. It comes up in a U shape around and above all parts of my body, with my TQ sort of naturally sliding down the steep hammock sides(but not as deep or steep as my original BMBH, which I still prefer for serious winter). I just felt toasty head to toe, didn't even need a pillow for insulation as I have several inches of down from head to toe. But, amazingly, even with the huge tarp, which gives great coverage from above and of the ends(much better than the little HH tarp), I still felt the wind coming through the ends(even trying to lift the tarp), and when it did I could feel it! I would go from toasty warm to a hint of cool, even at temps 10 or 15 above the quilts rating!

This obviously would not be tolerable all night, especially if temps were closer to the UQs rating. I would have to get more aggressive with finding a sheltered site, or hanging so the tarp would be better oriented to block the wind, staking it closer to the ground, etc. But it just has me thinking I would be better off with some version of the HH undercover to block the wind and even sideways rain. Maybe better off even if I went with a smaller tarp. If using an UC- much as with the HHSS- being IMO far better at blocking anything that comes in the ends or sides than all but the largest tarps, or at least tarps with doors, all I really need from a tarp(with UC in use) in protection from straight down rain- protection over head. And it really doesn't take all that big of a tarp to accomplish that.

So I think next step for me is is to look into some sort of UC for my bridge hammocks. Actually, I think I have one for my WB Ridge Runner, I have just never used it.

So, any one braving the cold? If so, what are you using, and how well is it working?

Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

tangara
Reactions:
Hammock: cotton or diy nylon
Tarp: cheap silnylon
Suspension: homemade 1-2"
Insulation: diy uq

Re: It's (record)cold up north! Anyone on this site up there hangin?

Post by tangara » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:55 pm

I was out last night. 23 F and thankfully, there was no wind. I had my down UQ and I also had the snugpak UQ just in case, because I wasn't sure I was ready for the cold. It was 50 on the overnight just last weekend. It was clear and I wasn't using a tarp, and I was just chilled enough that I decided to pull the Snugpak under me, too, 'cause heck, it was there. With that I was just a little too warm. I had to keep venting my top quilt. So I ended up being really toasty and I sure didn't want to get out in the morning. My record with this setup is 6 F with a light breeze and small tarp. Doubling up on quilts really helps.

G_Man
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by G_Man » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:22 pm

6 of us were out Friday night, 8 total for the weekend of our 2nd Packers/bears hang, with a low around 23. Nothing record breaking for early November in WI, but our first real cold this fall. It was fun to break out the 20° quilts, forgot how much more down they have than the 40° stuff I've used this summer! Makes gathering firewood more of a priority knowing we'd need it for warmth more than ambience.

Setup wise there was nothing special, just the transition from summer rated quilts to fall......with the deep winter gear waiting in the wings!! I think this cold snap just heightened everyone's anticipation of the real cold weather hanging that's soon to follow........
Keep your booger hook off the boom switch until you're ready to fire!!

BillyBob66
Reactions:

Post by BillyBob66 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:40 pm

tangara wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:55 pm
.............................................. My record with this setup is 6 F with a light breeze and small tarp. Doubling up on quilts really helps.
Is that your hammock record period, regardless of what you were using? Because if so, we share that 6F record! Mine was in an HH Super Shelter with the added kidney/torso pads and VB clothing. Though I have also done 10-15F various times with various setups from JRB MW$ UQs to Speer Pea Pods. But I have only got below 10F that 1 time at 6F, using the HHSS. It just doesn't get below 20F down here very often, and even les often does it get below 10, below zero almost(but not quite) unheard of.
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

tangara
Reactions:
Hammock: cotton or diy nylon
Tarp: cheap silnylon
Suspension: homemade 1-2"
Insulation: diy uq

Post by tangara » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:45 am

Yes, I think that's my all time low. We don't usually get too much colder than that up here. There have been a few times over the years that it was below zero, but not for long. I was out in a similar temperature but with wind and a winter tarp, and I also hung a small lap quilt on the ridgeline, which helped a ton, so it's hard to compare the two. Things like tarp configurations and pea-pods help a lot. All my quilts are homemade, so the only way I know what they're rated for is to get out there. I'm near the Delaware Water Gap in PA, but not too high in elevation.

Karla (with a k)
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY
Tarp: ENO Housefly
Suspension: Ultimate Straps
Insulation: DIY

Post by Karla (with a k) » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:56 am

I attended the Packer/Bear hang last weekend in Wisconsin. While it was colder than usual for November - it was like hanging in December (just without the snow). So, it wasn't unheard of cold. Just colder than normal.

I'm looking forward to the 3rd annual DaShack hang in Iola, Wisconsin in December and *possibly* attending the Wisconsin Frozen Butt hang in January.
◘ Dec 8-10: DaShack Hang @ Iola, WI ◘ May 18-20: BACONFEST 2018 @ Lake Kegonsa SP ◘ My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/karlawithak216

BillyBob66
Reactions:

Post by BillyBob66 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:37 am

Karla (with a k) wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:56 am
I attended the Packer/Bear hang last weekend in Wisconsin. While it was colder than usual for November - it was like hanging in December (just without the snow). So, it wasn't unheard of cold. Just colder than normal.

I'm looking forward to the 3rd annual DaShack hang in Iola, Wisconsin in December and *possibly* attending the Wisconsin Frozen Butt hang in January.
That was probably pretty cold for this MS boy, even if only a bit colder than normal for you guys. What did you use to keep warm in your hammock?

BillyBob66
Reactions:

Post by BillyBob66 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:40 am

G_Man wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:22 pm
6 of us were out Friday night, 8 total for the weekend of our 2nd Packers/bears hang, with a low around 23. Nothing record breaking for early November in WI, but our first real cold this fall. It was fun to break out the 20° quilts, forgot how much more down they have than the 40° stuff I've used this summer! Makes gathering firewood more of a priority knowing we'd need it for warmth more than ambience.

Setup wise there was nothing special, just the transition from summer rated quilts to fall......with the deep winter gear waiting in the wings!! I think this cold snap just heightened everyone's anticipation of the real cold weather hanging that's soon to follow........
Yep, same here, heightened my anticipation of the real cold weather hanging that's soon to follow! At least hopefully, it was so lacking in cold last year, at least way down here in MS.

G_Man
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by G_Man » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:00 pm

Yeah, the cold was lacking up here last year as well. The coldest I was able to get out was only -7.....
Keep your booger hook off the boom switch until you're ready to fire!!

Return to “Hammock General Discussion”