Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

An Oldy but goodie: HHSS/tarp/hammock in same skins

Post by BillyBob66 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:13 pm

Hey guys,
I have got to post this here before I loose it again. I have searched and searched on Google a couple of times in recent years, but all I can ever find are the newer videos where Tom Hennessy is showing how to set up the newer style HH Super Shelter. But this is the one I have wanted to show some folks regarding using the small tarp connected to the hammock suspension. I never used this method myself, but I remember talking to some young folks at HH who- when I expressed my doubts- said this was there favorite method of keeping dry in the soggy Pacific Northwest. So apparently it can actually work for some people. I never actually used this method myself. I only used that small HH tarp connected to the hammock suspension(no skins) on my 1st ever week long trip, Sept. in the northern Rockies. On that trip I always packed the tarp and hammock separate, and after that trip when I used HHSS, I always had my larger semi-rectangular tarp- which was attached to the trees rather than the hammock, in it's own skins- and hammock/undercover in separate skins. But, according to these kids at HH, this worked great for them in very wet country. But I never could find this video, but this morning I was going through some old posts over at another forum, looking for something else, when I stumbled on this in one of my posts. So, I want to share it here where it can be archived in case some one is asking about that controversial technique in the future.

I had always referred to this video as the cute girl breaking camp after using the HHSS. At about 1:12, you see her pull her fleece jacket out of the UC where she had used it the night before for extra back warmth, and put it on. That is an old trick I have used since 2006. (this video is from 2008) It was one of the most useful things Tom had told me after I got back from that first trip in Wyoming at 10,000+ FEET, when I called him for tips for how to make this thing work better. I specifically remember(this was back in 06) when the light bulb went on in my head, and I said to him :sounds like you are saying that since my top insulation was more than warm enough for the temps encountered, I would have been better off putting my extra jackets/pants down in the under cover/under the pad, rather than sleeping in them?". To which he replied "Yep". Suddenly I understood the entire concept of getting adequate thickness underneath you, snugged up against your back, but not snug enough to compress it. When I was actually out there on that first trip, I had no clue what I was doing, but after that first freezing night, I still managed to stay warmer than any one else on the trip, and way more comfy. Once I learned this concept, it helped me in my learning curve not just for the HHSS, but PeaPods and various UQs.

But my main reason for posting is seen at 1:42(the entire tear down process is an unhurried 2:44!). Watch how easily this cute girl- removing ONLY the HH pad- rolls the hammock, undercover and tarp quickly into one set of skins! Using only 2 cords and steaks, 1 for each side, of the tarp. Slick! I just always thought that was slick! I have done it in the back yard but like I said, not on the trail. I think the main problem would be condensation on the under side of the tarp, but if you had an absorptive cloth to wipe it off( I often do anyway), you could deal with that. It would also get real tricky trying to set the hammock up in the rain without getting it wet, but since I can pull out one side of the tarp at a time and tie it off, I think I could do it. Apparently these kids could. Also, if you really wanted to tie off to the trees, you could just have a separate line on the tarp end that goes through the snake skins. Or, set up on the hammock suspension, and later change to a line to the trees.

Anyway, I hope Y'all enjoy this bit of ancient hammock history as much as I have!
I am providing a 2nd link where the same cute girl is setting everything up, including skins and HHSS, but again this is for the original model, it is different and much easier with the newer models)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6LVyUK ... el&list=UL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOaQfKYqqYk

Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

BillyBob66
Reactions:

Re: An Oldy but goodie: HHSS/tarp/hammock in same skins

Post by BillyBob66 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:21 pm

Sorry, the 2nd link is only for set up of hammock, skins and tarp. I have not yet found the one where she sets up the HHSS. But the main thing I wanted to show is how she used 1 set of skins for hammock. UC and tarp, which is in the 1st link.
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

Calait
Reactions:
Hammock: ENO DoubleNest Set
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation: closed foam

Post by Calait » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:17 pm

Where is the pattern for the snake skins. I would like to make SS for my eno hammock with bugnet and tarp.
Any day in the outdoors is better than a day at work.

BillyBob66
Reactions:

Post by BillyBob66 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:32 pm

Calait wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:17 pm
Where is the pattern for the snake skins. I would like to make SS for my eno hammock with bugnet and tarp.
Sorry, I don't know. Maybe Sarge will know that. But as for just snake skins, just figure out the length AND diameter you need to get around your hammock or whatever you want to cover in skins, cut a long strip of sil nylon or netting if you don't need it waterproof, wide enough to encircle your hammock or whatever, and sew it closed along the edges forming a long tube.

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:08 am

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

Return to “Hammock General Discussion”