BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Be careful of those trees!

Post by BillyBob66 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:01 pm

Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

Crabby1313
Reactions:
Hammock: Hennessy
Tarp: Hennessy Hex
Suspension:
Insulation: Hennessy SS

Re: Be careful of those trees!

Post by Crabby1313 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:13 pm

Would like to make a smart alleck reply, but I set mine up and laid down in it....looked up, and guess what....Yup, widowmaker...Dumb mistake....easy to do....

Calait
Reactions:
Hammock: ENO DoubleNest Set
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation: closed foam

Post by Calait » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:41 pm

This is truly a sad story, however, how does one tell if a tree is rotting from the center? I have a softwood tree which lost a large limb is a wind storm there was no rotting, or cracking noted at the time of the break.
Any day in the outdoors is better than a day at work.

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Post by BillyBob66 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:16 pm

Calait wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:41 pm
This is truly a sad story, however, how does one tell if a tree is rotting from the center? I have a softwood tree which lost a large limb is a wind storm there was no rotting, or cracking noted at the time of the break.
Where I hike, otherwise healthy looking trees fall over not infrequently, and sure enough a big hole is running down their middle, rotten on the inside. I've seen them break off 5 or 10 feet above ground level. If they don't do that, they fall over pulling a huge root ball out of the ground.

Sure, I can look up for obvious widow makers over my hang. And I can bang on trees hoping I can hear a hollow, reverberation type sound if they are rotten. But mostly, I've decided I just can not really tell. And I stick to Kline's 1st rule just as I have done since my 1st days at the other forum: I always pick the smallest trees available to me, followed by rule 2: if possible, those 2 trees are as far away from big trees as possible. Obviously, I can not always meet even 1 of those requirements.

Once in the early days of my hanging, I was tying my hammock up to 2 trees next to a picnic shelter on a trail I hike. It was a clear, calm day, no wind. Suddenly I hear a loud crack and am shocked to see a very large hardwood( 50-100ft tall) maybe 100 yards distant as it begins it's crash to the earth. Anything in it's path would have been crushed.

My view is that all trees big enough to hurt me are dangerous. If possible to do while still hanging from trees, I avoid them as much as possible. Sometimes I just have to take what is available, unless it is obviously dangerous.
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

Return to “Hammock General Discussion”