Crabby1313
Reactions:
Hammock: Hennessy
Tarp: Hennessy Hex
Suspension:
Insulation: Hennessy SS

Amsteel - How much does Size matter

Post by Crabby1313 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:02 pm

I have a set of 7/64 Whoopies on my HH hammock and they seem to work ok.
I am not a hippo, but also am not tiny.....
Would it be smart to go back and switch to a 1/8 Amsteel on my Whoopies as opposed to the 7/64's?
Whatchu think??

GregD
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Amsteel - How much does Size matter

Post by GregD » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:58 pm

Google found this link that looks relevant:
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/sho ... to-Amsteel

My understanding is that if you put a knot in the Amsteel the working load would go down to about 160 lbs.

If your hang angle is 30 degrees the tension on your suspension is equal to the total weight in your hammock - if you aren't moving. Bouncing around will result in more tension.

Calait
Reactions:
Hammock: ENO DoubleNest Set
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation: closed foam

Post by Calait » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:23 pm

I have chosen to build my ridge line and suspension using 1/8-inch amsteel. Tensile
Strength Lbs. 1400 for 7/64-inch and Tensile strength or 1/8-inch is 2100. On youtube Factor 55 states you can lower the Dyeenma tensile strength by as much as 65% with a knot. Using Factor 55's number the breaking strength of 7/64 would thusly be 910 pounds, and 1/8-inch would be 1,365 pounds. I have not seen that number anywhere else as of this time.
Last edited by Calait on Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any day in the outdoors is better than a day at work.

Crabby1313
Reactions:
Suspension:

Post by Crabby1313 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:39 am

Does this include the Knot used to attach it to the Hammock? I used the knot suggested online for the HH.

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Amsteel - How much does Size matter

Post by Mophead » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:35 am

Crabby1313 wrote:Does this include the Knot used to attach it to the Hammock? I used the knot suggested online for the HH.
Yes and no. What we commonly do with Amsteel at the end of a hammock is go around the fabric end and then larks head or girth hitch a loop or whoopie. The result is a de-ration of a little less than 50% of the strength. BUT that bend is supported by a loop on TWO strands. So about 1/2 original strength multiplied by two results in a connection roughly equal to the ropes original tensile strength or slightly more. For 7/64 this is 1400lbs minimum.

Here is a PowerPoint from Samson showing the calculations if you want to get that intense.

The takaway though is avoid tight bends, and if you larks head a whoopie or dog bone on to the end of your hammock make sure the eye splice has enough length that two strands pass through the choker hitch:

"A" shows a shorter eye with a single strand passing through the eye and "b" shows a larger eye with two strands passing through. "B" is what you want.

Crabby1313
Reactions:
Suspension:

Post by Crabby1313 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:43 pm

NICE!!! I just got 300ft of 1/8 amsteel. I think I will redo my using the option B.
I like your drawings, but do you have a link to a youtube or instruction set somewhere I could refer to?
Still pretty much a Noob on all this stuff....
THANKS for the info!!!

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:49 pm

Crabby1313 wrote:NICE!!! I just got 300ft of 1/8 amsteel. I think I will redo my using the option B.
I like your drawings, but do you have a link to a youtube or instruction set somewhere I could refer to?
THANKS for the info!!!
Ive been thinking of getting a YouTube channel or something going but don't have anything up at the moment. Even if you are 300lbs 1/8 dia. should offer you enough of a safety margin that I wouldn't worry about much.

I'm over 200lbs and for the last couple years I've been using exclusively a single line of 7/64 from the tree (straps) tied with a modified sheet bend to a loop of muletape. Haven't seen a failure yet, and from what I can gather that modified sheet bend probably de-rates the line around 50% or more.

Mophead
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Mophead » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:49 pm

Crabby1313 wrote:NICE!!! I just got 300ft of 1/8 amsteel. I think I will redo my using the option B.
THANKS for the info!!!
Ive been thinking of getting a YouTube channel or something going but don't have anything up at the moment. Even if you are 300lbs 1/8 dia. should offer you enough of a safety margin that I wouldn't worry about much.

I'm over 200lbs and for the last couple years I've been using exclusively a single line of 7/64 from the tree (straps) tied with a modified sheet bend to a loop of muletape. Haven't seen a failure yet, and from what I can gather that modified sheet bend probably de-rates the line around 50% or more.

Crabby1313
Reactions:
Suspension:

Post by Crabby1313 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:08 am

Just installed the new 1/8 in Whoopies I made on my Hennessy - Looking forward to trying, but will be a little bit before I can....tooo much in flight right now....

GoneShootn
Reactions:
Hammock: WildHorn
Tarp: Chill Gorilla 12'
Suspension: 3/16 winch cable
Insulation: Duck down u/q

Post by GoneShootn » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:53 am

I went from 7/64 Amsteel whoopie slings to 3/16 winch cable - from 1600 lbs to 5600 lbs! Not Amsteel brand, but similar. At about 230 lbs, I'm way more comfortable. The 50 ft cable was less than $20 on Amazon, and the whole thing, including the protective sheath and steel eye at the end, weighs only 9 oz. I'm using it like the tarp continuous ridgeline setup shown at theultimatehang.com. This way, I only have only one adjustment, for height only, and then can slide the hammock back and forth to position it exactly where I want. I still have the dyneema structural ridgeline on the hammock, but the suspension forms its own ridgeline a bit higher, and, more often than not, I find myself reaching up and grabbing it for a bit of assist in getting up and out, especially in the middle of the night when the old bones don't want to move.

I may change next week, but that's what I'm using today.

Calait
Reactions:
Hammock: ENO DoubleNest Set
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation: closed foam

Post by Calait » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:21 pm

Size in my humble opinion does not matter, the larger the amsteel the more weight it will carry. Now if you are backpacking most of the time 7/64 amsteel will carry almost all of the weight you will throw at it, but you will only shave off points of an ounce or milligrams.
Any day in the outdoors is better than a day at work.

Return to “Hammock General Discussion”