ipokebadgers
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Dang it's hot out here!

Post by ipokebadgers » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:40 pm

So, "don't hang until it cools off" is not an option. What is your set up when the days are 100+ and the nights are low 80s and the humidity is fairly low? I take the lightest weight underquilt I have and just hang it loose with one or both ends open and then cover with a twin size sheet, if needed, inside my bug net. Sometimes I just hang my UQP instead of a underquilt. I am going to rig up a small battery powered fan like some of you have done as well.

Tell me your secret to staying cool.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

devoncloud
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: Dang it's hot out here!

Post by devoncloud » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:38 am

If you are not going to be lower than 75 degrees I'm not sure I would add an underquilt at all in my opinion. The fan is the best idea to keep air moving inside your hammock. Don't forget to treat you hammock with Permethrin if you don't want to get eaten alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ADVStrom14
Reactions:
Hammock: HH Backpackr Classic
Tarp: HH Hex 30D
Suspension: Webbing, Dutch Bling
Insulation: Costco, fleece, HHSS

Post by ADVStrom14 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:51 pm

I usually dont hang an uq unless I'm lower than 70*. I do like having something on me tho so i took a double sheet and sewed up a "tq" with it just so I have something on me. I got a small can but i have not tried it yet so i am not sure how Well it works. And of course permethrin or some kind of bug repellent.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. -E. B. White

bobamos
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by bobamos » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:50 pm

114*f here in SoCal.
Hennessy Expedition, Yukon Outfitters & Wilcor Mosquito Hammocks .... Plus, Equip Double. (Yep, a cheap Wally World but I like the thing for hanging on the patio.)

ipokebadgers
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: RE: Re: Dang it's hot out here!

Post by ipokebadgers » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:54 pm

bobamos wrote:114*f here in SoCal.
Yep. 111 in Central California. It was 95 last night at 2300.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Polkster13
Reactions:
Hammock: DH Sparrow (#3008)
Tarp: OES MacCat Std
Suspension: Whoopie Slings
Insulation: WL 20* Full UQ

Post by Polkster13 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:38 am

We just wrapped up our annual Butt Bake and I was out for 4 days and 3 nights. Temperatures were in the high nineties to over 100*. In the cooking area, it got up to 113* one day. At night, even at midnight it was still 90*. I have a Dream Hammock Sparrow and used the overcomer the first night and was way too hot. Next night, switched over to the bug net and the last night I unzipped the bug net and wrapped it around my ridgeline (just in case the insects starting pestering me). I around my under quilt but didn't even deploy it. I also had a Costco down throw that I never got out. I slept in my underwear and kept a lightweight fleece blanket in the peak shelf of my hammock. Around about 3 AM or later, I would get a little cool (probably from the sweat evaporating off me and the temps finally getting below 80*) and would get the blanket out. We had very little in the way of a breeze (therefore no need for an underquilt). In fact, I wished we did have a breeze to help cool us off. The last night, we did have a pretty good rain shower that helped a little bit in cooling things down. But once the rain stopped, the high humidity made it feel very muggy.

I would say that having a small portable battery operated fan would be your best investment for hot weather camping.

UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Post by UncleMJM » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:26 pm

I used my small battery operated fan each night at the Butt Bake and it was bearable.

I also frequently cooled my buff using the ice melt drained from the cooler and put that over the top of my head as a quick cool off.

A wipe down with baby wipes and cool water prior to crawling into the hammock at night also helped a lot.

As Polkster13 noted it was very hot and the humidity was the real killer along with no breeze.

Just to reiterate on the temperatures, it was in the mid-to-upper 90s most of the time with the heat index pushing it into the triple digits. You already heard about the kitchen area 113 temp. No telling what the heat index was in there.

Any way you cut it, it was pretty dang hot for everyone.

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Post by gmcpcs » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:27 am

Fans, plural. Re: Butt Bake, I slept with no underquilt, (minimal clothing too) two D Cell fans on all night, and just a bunched up poncho liner at my feet that would creep down over my legs occasionally by morning. Air movement is key, and having woken up with my hammock drenched in sweat, I can attest that the lack of air movement was like taking a bath in sweat. I'm not acclimated to the humidity though.

Take it easy,
GMCPCS
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

tangara
Reactions:
Hammock: cotton or diy nylon
Tarp: cheap silnylon
Suspension: homemade 1-2"
Insulation: diy uq

Post by tangara » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:30 am

Wow, I've got to hand it to you guys. I'd rather go out in five below than that kind of heat. Is everybody using some type of nylon hammock in that kind of heat still? I had one over-nighter last year when we had close to 100 during the day and only in the 80s at night, and it was uncomfortable. There's still a point a night where I end up needing something for a cover, but it's also clammy enough not to want to use one.

It's heavier, but I like the feel of the cotton hammocks when it is going to be that sweaty at night. Or better yet, the loosely woven mayan ones, but I only have a really short one of those and it's not that comfortable to sleep in. Just curious what y'all are using.

Return to “Hammock General Discussion”