I SOOOO wish this forum was more crowded...

MagicPaddler
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re:Sorry if this is off topic but it is why I come here

Post by MagicPaddler » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:09 am

What makes a site have a membership that can discuss sensitive topics in a civil way? I am a member of Quietjourney and BWAC (Canoe tripping related boards) and both have had a problem with posters getting how do I put this maybe disrespectful. This board there are disagreements but people don’t get mad (at least their posts don’t reflect that). I am not sure I understand why but I like it.

BillyBob66
Reactions:
Hammock: Claytor/JRB/HH/SB
Tarp: JRB 11X10
Suspension: CinchBuckle/WS/TriG
Insulation: HHSS,P.Pod,MWUQ,Yeti

Re: Re:Sorry if this is off topic but it is why I come here

Post by BillyBob66 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:33 pm

MagicPaddler wrote:What makes a site have a membership that can discuss sensitive topics in a civil way? I am a member of Quietjourney and BWAC (Canoe tripping related boards) and both have had a problem with posters getting how do I put this maybe disrespectful. This board there are disagreements but people don’t get mad (at least their posts don’t reflect that). I am not sure I understand why but I like it.
I like it also. May it continue. There are some serious differences of opinion on here, and they have been discussed. On hammocks, insulation, politics and religion. But so far I have not witnessed any significant amount of ad hominem attacks, little if any. Which means I have also not seen much- if any- need for moderators to come in and say "OK, that's it buddy, you have crossed the line, and either the thread is closed, your post is deleted, or you are banned.". I have not seen much of any of that, if any. Impressive.
Rom8:21the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption23..but..we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit.. groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body

sarge
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Re: I SOOOO wish this forum was more crowded...

Post by sarge » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:14 pm

It happens that way because of how the bunker is set up. If you scan the subjects and read some of the posts it becomes obvious that if you're here to cause trouble, we have a way of dealing with that, and it doesn't include banning or deleting posts---just moving them to the appropriate forum.

Most of the "friction" comes from activists whose intention is contention, and playing the crybully card when the contention comes out, and when the deletions or bannings occur. The won't get that satisfaction here. They can cause all the trouble they want---and folks can go at it with them if they want, but its going to be done in a forum where people know that's going to happen.
You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me. ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
My You Tube Channel

kev137
Reactions:
Hammock: diy HyperD 1.6oz
Tarp: Warbonnet Mamajamba
Suspension: Whoopie slings tree
Insulation: DIY climashield/ Snu

Post by kev137 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:30 pm

It is sort of refreshing to not have cyber nannies watching over you. I've read some very heated discussions that never got into being downright rude. Most folks agree to disagree, sometimes very vocally, but usually very civil. Maybe it's the fact that the site is not so huge yet. You have to deal with the same small core of folks so you tend to treat them with more respect. I really like the lack of gear shaming here. No one cares where you got your stuff, they just want to know if it works for you. And if it doesn't they are more than willing to offer advice on how to make it work for you. Not that we don't appreciate and drool over the high end custom stuff ( Papa Smurf I'm on your website a couple times a month looking at the same stuff sighing), we just appreciate being outdoors no matter what you use to get there.
" No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride", Hunter S. Thompson

kangsterizer
Reactions:
Hammock: Yukon outfitter 11ft
Tarp: none yet
Suspension: strap and hooks
Insulation: EE quilts

Post by kangsterizer » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:14 pm

I'll just add my 2 cts.. tried to subscribe twice to the "other" site and twice i got banned before I could post anything. Maybe there's a fine print somewhere explaining you have to donate to be a member or something like that which I missed. So basically, I subscribed there and am posting (I' not going to say I post stuff of great value though.. but hey)

This forums seems more modern and had no weird activation restriction, which makes it the de-facto better place lol.

Note: it'd be nice if this forum also used SSL (you can do this for free with letsencrypt and I'd be happy to help set that up if that's needed)

tangara
Reactions:
Hammock: cotton or diy nylon
Tarp: cheap silnylon
Suspension: homemade 1-2"
Insulation: diy uq

Post by tangara » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:25 am

kev137 wrote:It is sort of refreshing to not have cyber nannies watching over you. No one cares where you got your stuff, we just appreciate being outdoors no matter what you use to get there.
That's my number one reason for being here. I don't post as much as some, but I read a lot to keep up on new ideas. My stuff is probably considered crap to a lot of people, but you guys couldn't care less. It works for me, doesn't cost my whole paycheck to buy, I don't have to baby it, and gets me out there doing what I like, which is the main reason I switched to hammocks for the most part so many years ago. Otherwise, I'd have been home on the couch.

UncleMJM
Reactions:
Hammock: Freebird
Tarp: UGQ SilPoly... soon
Suspension: webbing/whoopies...
Insulation: beer/pizza reserves

Post by UncleMJM » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:05 am

tangara wrote: My stuff is probably considered crap to a lot of people, but you guys couldn't care less. It works for me, doesn't cost my whole paycheck to buy, I don't have to baby it, and gets me out there doing what I like, which is the main reason I switched to hammocks for the most part so many years ago. Otherwise, I'd have been home on the couch.
Great statement and so true. What works for you is what matters. Glad you're here!

gmcpcs
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY WB Clone ATACS
Tarp: DIY Hex ATACS FG
Suspension: Cargo strap loop, BN
Insulation: PLUQ, Down, DIY

Post by gmcpcs » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:43 am

kangsterizer wrote:I'll just add my 2 cts.. tried to subscribe twice to the "other" site and twice i got banned before I could post anything. Maybe there's a fine print somewhere explaining you have to donate to be a member or something like that which I missed. So basically, I subscribed there and am posting (I' not going to say I post stuff of great value though.. but hey)

This forums seems more modern and had no weird activation restriction, which makes it the de-facto better place lol.

Note: it'd be nice if this forum also used SSL (you can do this for free with letsencrypt and I'd be happy to help set that up if that's needed)
Welcome Kangsterizer! Did I see you on the reddit subforum?

Take it easy,
GMCPCS
Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.
Sam Houston
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Joshua 24:15b

Flynguy521
Reactions:
Hammock: Dream Hammock Custom
Tarp: UGQ Asym Multicam
Suspension: DIY 1" Webbing
Insulation: UGQ Custom

Post by Flynguy521 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:18 am

A lot of people don't chime in because they feel they don't have anything to contribute, but the fact of the matter is everyone has something to contribute and should never be made to feel otherwise, which is what HammockHangers.net does differently than hammock forums.

I would encourage anyone lurking or not posting much to not be shy. If I had never started posting and asking questions and talking about my gear I would have never gone to my first hang, and I would very likely have never made some of the best friends in my life.

It may be worthy of its very own post, but for lots of people lurking, it can be nerve racking to meet new people and to go to an event they've never been to, causing heightened levels of anxiety. Especially when we call it what it is when we go for the first time... Camping with a bunch of strangers from the internet in the woods. Because that first time everyone is a stranger unless someone you know is bringing you.
Last edited by Flynguy521 on Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hike, Like, and Subscribe!

https://www.youtube.com/c/AndyMartinezOutdoors

Hammock Trip Map

"I aim to misbehave!" - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

tangara
Reactions:
Hammock: cotton or diy nylon
Tarp: cheap silnylon
Suspension: homemade 1-2"
Insulation: diy uq

Post by tangara » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:09 pm

Boy, I'd love to figure out a way to come to one of the Texas hangs. I guess I have to retire first, so timing isn't an issue. I've only been to Texas twice, but loved everywhere I got to visit. Well, all except that one spot that was loaded with rattlers.

Biker Bob
Reactions:
Hammock:
Tarp:
Suspension:
Insulation:

Post by Biker Bob » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:46 am

A late reply. I belong to several forums with subjects other than hammocks or even camping so I want to relate my experience. Once I owned a weekly newspaper and belonged to a small town journalist web group. It was an email forum and I got a few posting everyday. For the most part it was people like me who had experience to share gained from actually working in the business.
As an owner I was hands on from selling ads, covering news to carrying the paper to a printer and delivering to post offices. Others on the forum were at least familiar with doing these things. AND THEN along came a college professor of journalism. I now got a hundred emails a day with frequently nonsense postings. I had to withdraw from the site and lose the good I gained because one academic type liked to post-a lot.
Another site I belong to is having a discussion (that's giving it a nice name) about not on topic posts.
I come here because I want to learn more about hammocks. If I want to go to a firearms, religion or even a website dedicated to smoking crack, they exist. The way this site is laid out, I can visit those threads I want to read and ignore others. People expressing their opinions on a number of topics is fine with me as long as I don't get the long (after this post I can't complain about length) diatribes about a non cottage industry manufacturer which is an entry into hanging for many.
When it is time to ask a question, I come to this site because I think I will get an honest answer, not one saying if I would only spend more money, the problem would go away.
The one thing lacking is a more complete listing of hangs.
Thanks to any who made it through this and now I will retreat from my soapbox and go try to fix a motorcycle or lawnmower.
Bob

Hangin' on the coast

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:51 pm

Biker Bob wrote: The one thing lacking is a more complete listing of hangs.
I need to "hire" somebody to scour other "places" and post about the different hangs that are occurring....
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

Karla (with a k)
Reactions:
Hammock: DIY
Tarp: UGQ WD 13ft
Suspension: Ultimate Straps
Insulation: DIY

Post by Karla (with a k) » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Flatliner wrote:Stowe, I think it is likely a simple momentum thing, they are huge, 'for profit', and advertise. This place is great because it is none of those things. Kind of a trade off. I go over there more and more until someone/thing irritates me and then I leave for a while.
I just joined this site today. I've been on that other forum for a year and a half. I just learned about its "for profit" status.

So, this site isn't like that? At all? How does it afford to stay in existence? Is there no membership fee?
◘ May 18-20: BACONFEST 2018 @ Lake Kegonsa SP ◘ June 8-10: DaShack Summer Hang @ Iola, WI ◘ July 6-8: Hale, Yes @ Hale, Michigan ◘ Labor Day Weekend: Kickapoo Valley Challenge @ Wildcat Mountain SP ◘ 27 months of camping at least one night ◘ My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/karlawithak216

Flynguy521
Reactions:
Hammock: Dream Hammock Custom
Tarp: UGQ Asym Multicam
Suspension: DIY 1" Webbing
Insulation: UGQ Custom

Post by Flynguy521 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:45 pm

Karla (with a k) wrote:
Flatliner wrote:Stowe, I think it is likely a simple momentum thing, they are huge, 'for profit', and advertise. This place is great because it is none of those things. Kind of a trade off. I go over there more and more until someone/thing irritates me and then I leave for a while.
I just joined this site today. I've been on that other forum for a year and a half. I just learned about its "for profit" status.

So, this site isn't like that? At all? How does it afford to stay in existence? Is there no membership fee?
Scuba graciously keeps this site going out of his own pocket because he is a pretty cool dude!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hike, Like, and Subscribe!

https://www.youtube.com/c/AndyMartinezOutdoors

Hammock Trip Map

"I aim to misbehave!" - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

Scuba
Site Admin
Reactions:
Hammock: DreamHammock
Tarp: UGQ WD or Hanger
Suspension: Varies
Insulation: UGQ40 HG20

Post by Scuba » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:52 pm

My "coolness" is open for debate. But yup, I pay for this out of my pocket. I don't charge "donations" in order to see content, and I don't charge vendors to have a forum.
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." - Gen James Mattis, USMC RET.
Owner/Administrator HammockHangers.net

Return to “Hammock General Discussion”